MotoGP » Ben Spies accident caused by 'broken swingarm'

"Had a solid 4th wrapped up till the swingarm decided to break" - Ben Spies.

YamahaGYTR - Unregistered

July 30, 2012 12:47 PM

Being a fan of Yamaha I will admit that is not the place to be in their shocking behaviour and treatment of Ben those shamed fools need to take a look at themselves.

Codger

July 30, 2012 12:55 PM

Wishing Ben good luck in whatever he does.
I find it odd that Ducati announce that Hayden is surplus to requirements, let him stew for a while, and then re-sign him. His results didn't change things. Then we have Yamaha promising to keep Spies for next year despite his poor results, then he leaves in what seems to be a major rift, and with really odd timing. Stoner, again with odd timing, says he's packing it all in. Dovi says he wants works ride or nothing. Cal, more or less saying the same thing. Rossi keeping everyone guessing. Keep on like this and it will definitely be CRT only, and slower than World Supers.

M1M - Unregistered

July 30, 2012 1:42 PM

Codger - CRT only could be OK but the WSBK organisers need to get their act together and restrict the tuning to really save teams money instead of the stupid one bike rule, which saves nothing, merely adding to the mechanics' workload and having a detrimental effect on the racing if a rider can't compete/qualify after a crash. The CRTs are struggling because they have far less power than their WSBK equivalents as a result of having just 12 engines for the season when WSBKs are using 3 per weekend. While watching the last BSB round at Brands Hatch, the commentators mentioned the 600 Supersports are fast enough to qualify/finish around 15th in a Superbike race on a twisty track, since the banning of traction control and new BSB tuning limits. It didn't make the race any less exciting to watch.

M1M - Unregistered

July 30, 2012 1:57 PM

A one bike rule increases the likelihood of the kind of crash Spies suffered yesterday. Rushing to repair a single bike in time for the next race, or round of qualifying, means any defects are more likely to be missed. A team might even be tempted to take a chance on equipment if they're under pressure to make the race, rather than stripping everything down properly and checking thoroughly for fractures. Added to which, it's easy to think someone else will have remembered the locknuts when THEY thought it was YOUR job. Houseworth and crew seem to be struggling already in MotoGP with two bikes and just one qualifying session and race to prepare for, so I hope Spies won't take them with him this time if he does go to the BMW Italia WSBK team as expected.

spur - Unregistered

July 30, 2012 2:55 PM

Roberts, Rainey and Lawson are probably saying, "WTF Yamaha!" or at least "WTF Ben's crew". Man what a year for Ben. If this isn't the bottom and he continues this fall, be it from pushing a little to much or technical woes, when he does hit bottom there'll be a crater the size of Texas. I don't know about Ben, but my confidence in the equipment I would have to ride and my crew would be shot. Really unacceptable that a rider for a factory team has these kinds of problems. Yes I agree don't crash in practice. But it happens to them all. A pro team is supposed to be the best. Its their job to put a safe and capable machine under their rider. I wish him good luck in whatever his future holds.

markg - Unregistered

July 30, 2012 3:10 PM

Too weird. I don't know what to think. On the one hand I don't buy the conspiracy theories, but on the other What has been happening at Ben's side of the garage seems beyond some statistical aberration. I was watching the laps times and Spies was starting to pull away from Dovi and CC, and was looking good there. I've been to Laguna, saw Stoner win in 2007 and the force being put on a bikes frame and suspension as it drops down through the corkscrew into Rainey curve must be enormous. I seem to recall the bikes were pretty much bottomed out and my mouth was hanging down to the ground watching those guys just flying down through that series of curves. Really amazing that the tires hold. And **loud**. If a frame or suspension component is compromised, that section of track is where it will fail. Bens a pro but it still must have been scary, just lose control out of nowhere.

markg - Unregistered

July 30, 2012 3:19 PM

Just wanted to add... Like I've said before some intrigue going on in the back office, personality conflict or some "political" agenda has gotten under Spies skin this year. Dont know what that may be, but at this point I can easily imagine some echo of doubt about going around in Bens mind about the overall situation, the machine, crew, whatever. Gotta be tough position to be in when your going out on a machine, need to trust what has been done, stuff that is not directly in your control, and your life is literally on the line. I hope wherever Ben ends up he does his homework and gets himself a brand new, top notch support team. He definitely needs a clean slate for his next season. Best of luck to Spies. Bad season but the guy is a class act. And I gather his Mom reamed the team, IMHO kudos to her if so.

Wacko - Unregistered

July 30, 2012 4:02 PM

I would be really interested to see what the post-incident protocols are for Yamaha's MotoGP squad. Qatar: I can understand how the crew could miss a cracked sub frame (or whatever truly broke) after the crash. OK you move on and you implement protocol to analyze the part failure and your inspection/assembly procedures. But then it happens again here? I am certain that these parts are all fully designed with the latest state of the art FEA software so I seriously doubt the part was under-engineered. Something got missed, plan and simple. Ben has been most gracious in the post-race interviews saying that it was no one's fault etc. But clearly something has to change! Protocol, parts allocation, engineering, personnel, whatever. Bens mom was allegedly publicly barking at a Yamaha Tech earlier in the weekend, maybe she knows something we don't!

Guy - Unregistered

July 30, 2012 4:22 PM

Broken swingarm ? Something smells fishy.
Everything is possible but this is the first time I hear a guy goes out racing on a broken swingarm, or that the swingarm breaks just like that.

« 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  »