MotoGP » Ben Spies - Q&A

An interview with Factory Yamaha MotoGP star Ben Spies conducted by Indianapolis Motor Speedway, venue for this weekend's eleventh round of the 2012 championship.

Md Zane - Unregistered

August 16, 2012 6:12 PM

Seems to me that the motogp paddock does revolve around the false god,crying shame coz the polotitians of my chosen sport have forgot that this is a world championship.Just hope at the end of the season both Ben and Casey let the verbal attacks run riot.

Destro

August 16, 2012 6:23 PM

no racer willingly leaves a factory seat. He will go to WSBK and I think dominate again.

WSBK however, is no MotoGP. I dont think you can say its the Rossi effect either. That series although popular is not where the best racers are. Look at how many more comments Motogp threads get on here.

smh - Unregistered

August 16, 2012 6:45 PM

I didn't know that Ben was such a successful and wel rounded person. I am impressed. I've loved Ben since WSBK and it is unfortunate that things did not work out for him at Yamaha. I still think something went down and he got a raw deal. Best of luck Ben in whatever you decide to do! These sour apples on here who like to tear people down can only wish to aspire to your level of success. cheers

markg - Unregistered

August 16, 2012 7:27 PM

'It's all moot now given Rossi's return, but I really doubt Yamaha would have looked to Rossi had it not been for Ben's poor start'

Don't agree. Rossi is the most recognizable name/face in the Motorcycle world, and simply his association with Yamaha MotoGP means sales for Yamaha. That is what concerns Yamaha about Rossi. Clearly Spies doesn't have such "brand" recognition. Just about the only way Spies stood a chance of staying was if he was having some record breaking year of podiums/wins every race. That **may** have done it, I doubt anything else would have.

Don-R

August 16, 2012 7:42 PM

@ markg

I think you're right. Yamaha's biggest (and growing) market is South East Asia, where Rossi has huge marketing pull. Having his face on advertising in those territories is going to sell scooters and mopeds in a way that Spies (or Lorenzo) never could. Ben has had a wretched season so far, but even if he'd have had a good season, Rossi makes far more economic sense.

@ RocketR1

No the US doesn't have any immediate title contenders, but then neither does Britain. Yes there are British riders progressing through the ranks like Scott Redding and Danny Kent, but the reality is that Britain is such a non-entity when it comes to a percentage of global sales that no manufacturer or sponsor is going to be much interested in a British rider unless they have phenomenal, championship-winning talent AND have charisma enough to give them global marketing appeal. That's a big ask.

Being realistic, I can't honestly see the WC going anywhere but Italy or Spain in the foreseeable future.

James - Unregistered

August 16, 2012 7:46 PM

Yamaha had an easy choice since they have no title Sponsor and Rossi brings the cash they need, they already have a no1 rider and it doesn't matter if Rossi doesn't perform.

. - Unregistered

August 16, 2012 7:56 PM

I think he is a good rider and nobody could disrespect what he achived that first year in WSBK.

I also admire his honesty in this interview but If he really does just think of racing as a JOB he shouldn't be there.

Again not knocking him but this seems to be from a perspective of having talent but also having everything on a plate, if you don't live for it don't do it. Good luck either way though.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »