MotoGP » Valentino Rossi: It’ll be hard to beat Lorenzo

“The world title is a dream. [We] have to understand if I'm still a top rider, still fast and if I can still fight for the podium. After two seasons like this, nobody knows” - Valentino Rossi.

Realist

August 17, 2012 6:41 PM

@ Marc

He will have confidence on the Yamaha. There is no logical reason why he wouldn't. That was the basis of my statement regarding needing a few races (or maybe not) to reacclimate. Hell, he may be fine after a few rounds of testing. We shall see.

As for age, I'll say it again....33 is not old. Somebody made a good point about people being much older than that taking medals in the olympics (a human powered ordeal) just weeks ago. It's about conditioning, not necessarily age (..at least at this point. If he were 50 I'd have a different opinion). I'm in better shape now at 33 than I was in my mid-20's (and I was doing amateur NPC natural body building shows in my mid-20's), and I'm in better shape than the majority of "youngsters".

TalentFan

August 17, 2012 6:53 PM

@ Realist

As was discussed a couple of weeks ago... given that there are currently only 4 front-running bikes in the whole series, and that Rossi has one of those 4 bikes..... surely his only real competition are those other 3 bikes ridden by DP, MM & JL.

Also MM is a rookie. Given that situation I'd consider it a failure if Rossi wasn't top 4 immediately - after all, he'll have the chance to test and have access to set-up data and all his experience before the flag drops at Race 1.

4th amongst a race of 4 isn't really much of an achievement IMO - it'd need to be a very close run, fast & competitive 4th to even be considered acceptable on that bike. It'll take 2nd step at least to reinstate his status I reckon.

Sidthekid - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 6:55 PM

@ TalentFan

I honestly don't think that Rossi cares too much about his image at this stage of his career. He has his fan base, a nice new Yam contract in his back pocket and will be worshipped whatever he says. I think he is being a realist. One thing he can never be accused of is being an idiot, an in these comments he is simply stating what fans and non fans alike are all looking forward to seeing next year.

I also hope that he is able to challenge Jorge for the occasional win because for sure, if that happens the language is sure to change, and I for one think that makes the rivalry lots more interesting - especially as Jorge is a very shrewd cookie himself.

TalentFan

August 17, 2012 7:04 PM

@ Sid. I'm not so sure that Rossi doesn't care - I reckon he cares quite a lot about his image, and that that image has been tarnished by his failure on the Ducati - made worse by the fact that the guy who rode it so well before him was one Casey Stoner.

The pursuit and acceptance of the Yamaha ride (& the fact that he's had to accept less than clear no1 status and JL as team leader) supports his need for success and to put a shine back on his image and career.

TalentFan

August 17, 2012 7:31 PM

@ Sid. I reckon those things go hand-in-hand. But its also more of a roll of the dice for Rossi than ever before as he's up against Lorenzo - tough for anyone to assert themselves over that guy.

Podiums should be a given for Vale in 2013 given he's got 1 of only 4 truly competitive bikes in the whole race series. But its a gamble that he can demonstrate that he deserves the ride on riding merit with actual race wins (which his own interview statements echo).

Realist

August 17, 2012 7:59 PM

@ TalentFan

Agreed...his top competition will be the two HRC bikes and his teammate. I tend not to get too far ahead of my words, so I'll continue to remain conservative within the discussion. I'll say this, I'm not too worried about Rossi's performance next year. I also believe that Rossi is playing it safe (as would I) by lowering expectation. What he thinks in his head likely differs from what he's presenting to the media. He is no idiot when it comes to media savvy.

Sidthekid - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 8:01 PM

@ Talentfan

No doubt it's a roll of the dice. Jorge is a very formidable opponent, even moreso now than two years ago, which I think again supports the point that Vale is more concerned about being competitive than he is about restoring a tarnished image. Sure the two things go hand in hand but he knows he could be soundly beaten by Jorge, and he knows another WC is a long shot, even on a Yam. I honestly believe that he just wants to race at the sharp end for the sheer enjoyment of it, rather than any other reason.

kimster - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 8:25 PM

For a 9 time world champion and racing legend to say these words about a former team mate and fierce competitor putting his pride and ego aside it is not easy. That shows the class and humility of VR. He mixes personality with a winning mentality so well that is what has earned him so many fans. A few other top riders may have the talent but don't have the charisma and personality to go with it.

« 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  »