MotoGP » Valentino Rossi: It’ll be hard to beat Lorenzo

“The world title is a dream. [We] have to understand if I'm still a top rider, still fast and if I can still fight for the podium. After two seasons like this, nobody knows” - Valentino Rossi.

TalentFan

August 17, 2012 8:38 PM

@ Sid
Whatever VR's motivation is, its a good bet that he wouldn't want to end his career in the doldrums - which is where he is right now on the Ducati. Lots of trolls are trolling about Stoner's retirement as quitting (nonsense IMO BTW - he can do what he wants - he doesn't owe anybody anything) - but Stoner is pulling the plug on his own terms, and while undeniably mercurially fast, competitive and with his alien status intact.
I don't think VR wants to bow out of MotoGP without taking a good shot at taking that bow from a much better position than he's at now. Hence taking the Yamaha ride under terms he would have called insulting to a rider of his calibre before his Ducati experience. Add in the fact of his future earning power, marketability & media profile post Moto-GP & I still reckon the signs are Vr's image matters a lot to VR.

TalentFan

August 17, 2012 8:48 PM

@ kimster "For a 9 time world champion and racing legend to say these words about a former team mate and fierce competitor putting his pride and ego aside it is not easy. That shows the class and humility of VR".

Oh dear. No, it doesn't. Rossi couldn't do anything else in a press conference where he's leaving Ducati under the circumstances he is without making a huge PR faux-pas. I say again - no choice whatsoever, as to at least appear to be anything other than contrite and apologetic would be media suicide (esp. to the Italian Press). He's also visibly had to climb down a long way from 'JL or me' to the terms of this ride, so being respectful toward JL was the right move.
Rossi is WAY too savvy & well-advised to mess that interview up.
Its way too easy to sell anything to some people it seems.

kimster - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 9:07 PM

@talentfan - I agree, to say anything otherwise would be plain stup8d. atleast VR was intelligent enough to say the right things and gain some sympathy compared to CS27 who is determined not to leave before slinging mud on a lot of things especially about Rossi. But again I guess he has nothing to lose.

TalentFan

August 17, 2012 9:20 PM

@ kimster. I've thought about CS's willingness to be outspoken, and compared it to JL's careful politeness.
The only thing I can think of is that JL is going to get his chance to get his revenge on the tracks in 2013, while CS's retirement decision means he won't be doing that. That fact (and CS's willingness to say what's on his mind and to hell with PR speak & image, plus as you say the fact that he's leaving anyway) leads me to think that (if he's asked a question) Stoner is perhaps feeling quite happy to knock Rossi right now. I can't say I blame him TBH.

Sidthekid - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 9:24 PM

@ Talentfan

We'll have to agree to disagree re Vale's motivations. The only person that knows for sure is Valentino and maybe Ucchio lol.

Taking on Kimster's point, yes I agree with you that Vale could not really say anything else given the circumstances, and he really wouldn't need advice to come to those conclusions. Thatsaid, for the points that Kimster made, i.e 9 time champion and racing legend, with those facts come an ego (so everybody is keen to make a point of whenever there is a Valentino discussion) so it cannot have been easy for him to say it. I think some credit should be given for that.

Re Casey and his decision to retire, I agree with you completely. As a Rossi 'fanboy', I for one will miss Casey's awesome riding style, and the way he speaks his mind on whatever subject is put to him (whether I happen to agree with him or not). But it is his decision, I completely understand it, and he should not be castigated for it. I do wish he'd change his mind though!

TalentFan

August 17, 2012 9:38 PM

@ Sid & kimster
One thing I do agree with is your points about how hard it probably was for Rossi to be so contrite. History does indeed say that it's really not his style at all, so I doubt that that press conference was any fun at all for VR. A little humility won't do him any harm anyway - in fact, given his future after eventual retirement will amost certainly be as some sort of spokesman and statesman for the sport, the experience may well prove beneficial long-term?

Sidthekid - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 9:54 PM

@ Talentfan

I don't think it will do him any harm. I also think that the arrogance he has shown in the past comes with the territory. Schwantz, Senna, Schumacher all spring to mind. When you are at the top of your game it is natural to want to defend that status, you are the one being shot at. It is in your interest to put your opponents down any way you can and the 'greats' tend to do that with arrogance. But that's not to say that the humility wasn't always there, it is just never shown because it can be translated as weakness, possibly?

TalentFan

August 17, 2012 10:08 PM

@ Sid
Agreed that racers have to have massive self-belief, and they also have to be capable of being pretty selfish or they'd never dedicate themselves enough to be successful. As for whether Rossi has 'hidden humility', well I can't say for sure, but (at least in the past) I personally doubt it.
I don't know if you have, but I've read Rossi's autobiography. One thing you will not find anywhere between the front and back covers of that book is humility - quite the opposite. An interesting insight into the man for sure, but it doesn't show his personality and opinion of himself in a good light IMO.

Sidthekid - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 10:22 PM

@ Talentfan

Yeah I have read his autobiography and to be honest I thought it was a bit rubbish. And to back up your point, to make the decision of which team to ride for based on the dashboard of a particular bike speaks of supreme arrogance. The only thing I would say in his defence is that that was written some time ago now, when he was at the very top of his game, a young buck who had conquered the world with legions of adoring fans, of which I was one, and maybe to expect any kind of humility at such a time in a rider's career is a little bit shortsighted?

« 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  »