MotoGP » Ben Spies reveals tension with Yamaha

“I was told by somebody at Yamaha that if I'm not going to ride a hundred percent at Laguna, don't show up” - Ben Spies.

Pegasus1967uk - Unregistered

August 20, 2012 12:29 AM

Whilst pointing the finger at Lin Jarvis about his behaviour towards Ben Spies because of him wanting Rossi back, can I please remind you of his behaviour towards Rossi at the latter end of his Yamaha contract? He has a history of blindly backing JLo and that includes a no racing each other policy in JLo's favour. Whoever sits on that 2nd bike has the problem of extra weight because Lin Jarvis is on their ar5e. I think i'd be right in saying that Rossi once said that he'd be happy to finish his career with Yamaha just months before Jarvis started the hard push on Rossi for racing too close to JLo and blindly backing him regardless of situation. It was the Jarvis Jlo show that made it acceptable to go crying to the boss if not getting their way on the track. Before this, Riders sorted things out amongst themselves behind the pits away from the cameras. I know 1st hand, been there, done that, problem solved. Riders had respect for each other that way rather than sending cheap shots via t

Pegasus1967uk - Unregistered

August 20, 2012 12:31 AM

Part 2. cheap shots via their bosses or the press.
Now i'm sure that many of you are now thinking i'm a blind Rossi fan, well I do respect what he has achieved in his career, but i'm actually merely a motorbike sports fan regardless who's riding. I may now spend my time in a wheelchair but motorsports still play a big part in my life and for that reason, if a story is released I look for the flipside to the press release, there's always one if you look for it. Having said that, it doesn't matter who the story is about at Yamaha, you're guaranteed to find Lin Jarvis having his 2 penny worth and proving the lack of time and respect he has for the second rider in the team and you find yourself questioning his behaviour as a team principle.
With all that said, I would like to send my best to Ben and wish him well with his future career regardless what it may be.

Juice - Unregistered

August 20, 2012 12:40 AM

Fastest in morning warm up and then a mechanical failure which rarely ever happens with Yamaha. Ben said the bike was starting to feel bad a couple laps into the race. I say get yourself a whole new crew wherever you are going. Now the pieces are slowly fitting in.

Pegasus1967uk - Unregistered

August 20, 2012 12:52 AM

@Pegasus
Nice Post!
obviously you have watched this sport for a very long time.

Posted by RocketR1

Thank you, been around motorsports most of my 44 years so can apreciate things from both sides of the fence. Obviously someone has decided that the facts quoted in my postings don't stack up though, Perhaps it Lin himself, (foil Hats on folks quick). lol

porsche996 - Unregistered

August 20, 2012 1:06 AM

Spies has had legitimate equipment malfunctions or issues in at least 5-6 races - no question!!!!
I would imagine a lack luster garage effort.

All the same he seems mentally weak to me to begin with, so maybe a combination of both is the problem.

He was fading today - he would have finished no better than 6th anyway!

Don-R

August 20, 2012 1:09 AM

This is just nuts. Are D!ck Dastardly and Muttley on Spies' crew? I've been watching GP racing a long time and I don't think I've ever seen so many consecutive technical failures on a factory bike.

As for the person 'high up' at Yamaha, there's only one person in a position to say something like that to a rider and it's the MD of Yamaha Motor Racing, Lin Jarvis. I don't believe the Japanese speak to their riders so disrespectfully.

I know Spies took some flak for quitting a factory team, but seriously, can anyone blame him?

shamarone

August 20, 2012 1:14 AM

re: "No suprise the engine blows up."

well kit that isn't being given the proper labor time for a once over will do that. this is going to be hard for the average fan to comprehend, but the degree of fastidiousness present at this level is MIND BOGGLING. even when there HASN'T been a crash, weekend in and weekend out these bikes get complete (if not nearly complete) tear downs from stem to stern, with everything thing cleaned, lubed, checked, and reassembled. when this DOESN'T happen, it's easy to see why/how these things occur. that 30-man boffin army you see in each garage...? yeah, they're there for a reason... and it ain't to play "grab-a$$" with the brolly.

leapb4ulook - Unregistered

August 20, 2012 1:19 AM

Clearly there is a lot going on behind the sceens that the public isnt privy to.
My question on BS leaving Yamaha is did he Jump or was he pushed ???
I think Rossi made feelers to Yamaha long before we heard about it and BS was told there was no place for him next year.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »