MotoGP » Lorenzo not counting out Stoner

"I will not discount Casey because he is strong and he can take several consecutive wins" - Jorge Lorenzo.

2004 Stoner joined the Red Bull KTM factory team
2005 he rejoined the 250cc world championship class, racing once again for Lucio Cecchinello' team on an Aprilia. Onboard a factory Aprilia,
Stoner secured a ride with the factory Ducati team for the 2007 season.
Stoner raced with the Repsol Honda Racing Team in 2011,

so i may have been wrong about the factory 250 KTM.

but still factory seems to appear alot in stoners history of bike racing... so dont pull the he was always on the weaker bike card.

True fan - Unregistered

August 21, 2012 12:32 PM

@couch racer's should stay on the couch Very technically though. It had never raced before, so there was no setup data for any track....etc...etc... It's a stupid comparison. It's the stupid "Rossi's the GOAT" argument again. Personally, I think Hailwood is practically untouchable there. I could be convinced that Rossi's the GOAT, but first, he has to take the Ducati to the IOM and bring back the TT...no, didn't think so.

This thread has fallen into a death spiral of irrelevance.

stat attack - Unregistered

August 21, 2012 12:37 PM

in stoners ducati championship winning year he scored more points in total (367) than he did dominating on the honda championship winning year (350) which (incl 1 ret. and a cancelled race, rip #58)

True fan - Unregistered

August 21, 2012 12:43 PM

This must be Godwin's law, the MotoGP amendment. Any MotoGP thread, regardless of topic, will descend into a Rossi versus Stoner statistical analysis...

Does anyone have a thought about LORENZO? I vaguely recall that he was commenting about his title fight for this year...

there there now - Unregistered

August 21, 2012 12:49 PM

@OldCodger:

" Where do you expect Casey to finish next year "

Is that a trick question, i was under the impression Casey was retiring at the end of 2012 lol.

" He can probably count out Rossi though"

my point was do you count out Rossi in 2013-14 also, with Dani, marquez up there and possibly Bradl too????

Louise - Unregistered

August 21, 2012 12:50 PM

Totally off topic, but why was Crash.net forced to close comments on the Spies sabotage article??

EDIT by CRASH.NET! Already explained. It was due to a very large number of defamatory and libellous comments.

samas

August 21, 2012 12:57 PM

I hate stats they don't show the full story.
Not rubbishing the perfect example is Ago half of his career he had no competition.
Don't get me wrong he was a great racer, I happen to have met him and thought then as I still do that he was he was one of the greats, however have a look at his stats against Hailwood and they are not so good.
Another good example is Mick Doohan whom I doubt any true GP fan wouldn't say that it not been for his tragic accident he would have been a 7 times WC and I hasten to add Kevin Ss WC was hard earned as he was on inferior machinery.
I could give dozens of examples but whats the point most of the fans that wear yellow glasses will continue to throw up the stats'l

Codger

August 21, 2012 1:09 PM

@ there there now....It's no good asking me about Rossi's chances, I thought he would do well with Ducati. I don't think that he is past it, and Jorge will have a large target on his back to aim at.
Marquez has to prove himself in the bigger class before I can give any thought to him. He (like you) is young with fire in his belly. I hope the lad doesn't crash his brains out by trying too hard too early.
Lorenzo has what it takes to win in 2013 and 2014, but even with Stoner out of the picture, he won't find it easy.
Fish fingers and chips for your tea tonight?

How it happened - Unregistered

August 21, 2012 1:13 PM

StevenG, we know it's tough. It's a bit like when you were told Santa wasn't real.
Don't try to make up history though Steve. The facts are Stoner owned Rossi...big time...on the same bike.
Three wins on the trot..2 hours later..here you go Vale...next minute...2 seconds per lap off the pace...on the same bike! Biggest wake up call of all time!

Poddy - Unregistered

August 21, 2012 1:21 PM

I'm a big Stoner fan but I doubt he can take the WC but he will give us a show we all will remember.

Plus I think in 2 years he'll be back, well I hope so