MotoGP » Gresini confirms Spies, Redding interest

Three riders in talks with Gresini Honda for 2013 MotoGP season.

shawnery - Unregistered

August 27, 2012 9:18 PM

One thing I agree with is Ben's choice of lines, in particular corner entry, is a weak point for him in comparison to all other riders. As has been stated one big rider already made the honda work though with consistant tire issues at end of race and he was able to take advantage of the corner entry that Ben seems unable or unwilling to do. The one thing to think about though is perhaps the honda is the one bike that's can be ridden as Ben rides and this is do to grub to grunt and top end power. Ben was my real hope of an American champion but I really don't think it will happen. I think you have to be raised on those tracks, in those paddocks, around those people and on those bikes. Once you have ridden a specific way your entire life no matter how good you are there will always be those tendencies in your muscle memory and that seems evident in Ben's riding.

JS99 - Unregistered

August 27, 2012 10:05 PM

@rgamma I expect Marquez to have a similar year to his first in moto2 a lot of mistakes in the first half of the year and then come good in the second half a few podiums and maybe a sneaky win

markg - Unregistered

August 27, 2012 11:43 PM

Spies has definitely had more then his share of equipment issues, and the rumor mill has been hugely in overdrive the season with Rossi coming back to Yamaha. Both these things could be a significant distraction to Spies, especially with back office corporate politics layered on top. Its been my impression that Spies head just hasn't been all there, perhaps at least partially for the reasons I've given. But in the back of my mind I've been a bit worried about that huge blow to his head he took towards the end of last season. I was concerned at the time. I believe I read in a few places that his helmet was basically destroyed and he took a huge concussion. I'm just hoping like hell that he didn't sustain permanent injury and this season could in the end, be a result of that crash.

RocketR1

August 28, 2012 12:25 AM

Bad luck,Bad Bike's(on his side of the pit)Poor setup by his crew and some Bad riding on his part have all added up to what any rider would consider a nightmare season..oh And too top it off the new tires just dont gel with his riding style on the Yamaha.
Still hoping that he will land the Gresini Ride..worth a try,Crutchlow was terrible last year and he is wonderful this season..off season training is something he should look to improve on IMO.

markg - Unregistered

August 28, 2012 1:15 AM

Not sure about the discussion of riding lines going on. Seems to me that to some extent, lines will be unique, as per riding style, tire status, bike geometry/suspension settings, track conditions... What works for a given rider/bike wont necessarily work for another rider/bike, or even for the same/rider bike on a different day, different track conditions. I suspect that one of the things that make a great rider great is an ability to nail down lines while tuning/optimizing a given hardware setup for the track conditions at hand, and doing all that quickly. The rider has to deal with the bike changing underneath them, as settings are tweaked. and being able to that that time and time again at completely different tracks. On top of the necessity to coordinate technical feedback from the rider, and data from the bike into input for the mechanics/engineers. Lots of variables to juggle. An art I'm quite sure, not hard science, well perhaps partially so, and not allot of great artists

blurbb54 - Unregistered

September 09, 2012 11:44 PM

im afraid ben spies worst enemy in the paddock is his manager.Hes been treated like a leper all season by yamaha due to something that went on before the season started,this is apart from the engine blow up,suspension link breaking,etc.

« 1 2 3 4 5