MotoGP » Ben Spies 'optimistic' after Aragon test

"We were mainly fine-tuning the bike and the results seem good. I'm positive for the rest of the year" - Ben Spies.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

YamahaGYTR

September 06, 2012 9:48 AM

Spies to Pramac Ducati I really hope he rejects that offer and hopefully join Gresini a better ride then Pramac. But on the other hand if he takes the Honda ride I hope he gets the works kit.

Don-R

September 06, 2012 10:41 AM

@ YamahaGYTR

"Gresini a better ride than Pramac."

But at least the Duc will be full factory spec, and so will benefit from ongoing Audi upgrades. And with Hayden on a 1-yr contract, a spot theoretically opens up in the factory team for 2014.

Gresini meanwhile are struggling for budget, WON'T have a factory-spec RCV and WILL have to run Showa suspension kit rather than Ohlins (i.e.. no usable data from the factory squad). Those things made it a deal killer for Crutchlow as well as Spies.

I think Pramac is more than an offer btw - I think it's a done deal. Announcement due before Misano next week.

ex-loko.tkc.exe - Unregistered

September 06, 2012 11:07 AM

even after all this bad year, by him and also sometimes by circumstances, i still beleive Spies could push hard in MotoGP, i hope he find the way,
a factory Ducati maybe better than Gresini RCV213
for me (remember Showa not Ohlins)if Ducati back
to middle-good level

one year ago i heard a comment about a Spies comment,

"...Tech3 YZR-M1 nearest to wsbk YZF-R1 than
factory M1 because electronics..."

i dont know if is true or not, i just wanna mention if someone knows something about or...

DC - Unregistered

September 06, 2012 12:30 PM

He's happy to be 0.7s behind his teammate???????? That's an eternity in MotoGP terms. The only riders on the grid that could be happy with a time like that are all riding Ducati's or CRTs.

RocketR1

September 06, 2012 12:37 PM

@Don-R
I just have a feeling that the tiff is between Wilco & Ben, I know he is Jorges team manager...but that doesn't stop him from leanding his support to Crutchlow on twitter and at the race track(we have seen him pick Cal up and drive him back to the pits after a crash)being Jorge's manager would give him a lot of pull inside factory yamaha.
I'm probley wrong and I hope we do here both Bens story and Yamahas side.

Don-R

September 06, 2012 12:52 PM

Yep, WZ and Cal have been buddies since they won the WSS title together, but I don't think that implies any hostility from Wilco towards Ben. I think what you're suggesting is a bit of a reach tbh.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear the inside story, though I suspect Spies may be a little too diplomatic to dish the dirt. We'll see.

RocketR1

September 06, 2012 1:39 PM

@Don-R
I don't think we will ever hear what went wrong unless something drastic happens between both parties again..Spies was no doubt angry when he said he would tell his side of the story at a later date.At this point I think both him and Yamaha will be happy to walk away from each other after Valencia.
Have you heard anything solid on Ben to Pramac?
I think the Gresini deal is 100% history