MotoGP » Kevin Schwantz files lawsuit against COTA

“Earlier today, I took legal action against COTA. I was forced to file this lawsuit in order to protect my rights, my reputation, and MotoGP itself” – Kevin Schwantz.

Lucky - Unregistered

September 08, 2012 8:20 PM

COTA owner has no clue how to promote races and cares nothing about Moto Gp.He will step on Schwantz just like he did with Tavo, he does this for a living. sure Tavo laughed all the way to bank though, maybe Kevin will too?

shamarone

September 08, 2012 8:54 PM

re: "I have devoted over 25 years of my life to MotoGP, the premier motorcycle road racing world championship. I spent four of those years bringing MotoGP to Texas, my home state. As a result, MotoGP agreed in 2011 to host an annual race at Austin's Circuit of the Americas (COTA) track. I'm sorry to say that COTA is now attempting to unlawfully force me out of this project."

ya know what, that's damn right. NEVER try and steal/devalue a man's time. no one can get that back. GIVE 'EM HELL SCHWANTZY... BOTH BARRELS...!!!

Shaken - Unregistered

September 08, 2012 10:05 PM

Its a very baffling story to say the least. That much said, someone IS telling porkies. Lawyers would be out of a job if everyone told the truth. Nuff said.

bob - Unregistered

September 08, 2012 10:23 PM

amafan....hahahahha .. re - read the story followed by your comment. what a tool!!
go kevin. true bike racing fans are on your side !

one who knows - Unregistered

September 08, 2012 10:37 PM

COTA owner Red McCombs has a long history of being a scumbag businessman and sports team owner... he bought the Minnesota Vikings Football club, the whole state despised him for the way he threatened to move the team if he didn't get hundreds of millions in public money for a new stadium. He's battled local citizens and environmentalists in Colorado for decades trying to get free pubc land to develop a ski resort and he's been sued by the Navaho native American Indian tribe for scummy tricks trying to develop casinos on tribal lands.

No surprise that this dirtball is trying to squeeze out the people who put years of effort into developing COTA. that's just how old dirtbag businessmen roll.

johnnymat

September 08, 2012 10:37 PM

I found copies of the lawsuit Tavo filed against COTA. He makes allegations of contract violations,failure to make timely payments and being squeezed out. The fact that there was an out-of-court settlement for an "undisclosed amount" tells me there was merit to the charges.
I would be willing to bet that the same thing happened to Kevin. He and Tavo were the only ones involved with a strong passion for motorsports.
I hope Kevin wins the lawsuit!

BoZz

September 08, 2012 10:48 PM

Looks like he's going to get the race in Texas anyway, so if you love the sport so much who cares about the falls you take to get what you want? Seems to me it's more about "I did this and that and I want some of the credit" .. Which means, It's not just about getting a venue at your circuit.

budro - Unregistered

September 09, 2012 12:49 AM

I know that the popular idea is to get behind Schwantz on this but the truth is that if there wasn't big money for him to lose he wouldn't care either way what name was on the deal. You would've heard him say some thing like "as long as the race gets to Texas I don't care who makes the deal".

I would've liked to have heard him say that this is about the money that he is losing out on.

He has seemingly spent some of his personal time on bringing the race here (in my hometown) so I hope he gets compensated through this lawsuit. I just hope he doesn't ,and I doubt he will, jeopardize MotoGP coming to Austin even for one year. I am soooo looking forward to seeing it on the 2013 calender.

« 1 2 3 4  »