MotoGP » Redding: Size more important than skill in Moto2

“It's stopped being about who's the best rider in Moto2, because physical size seems to be more important than skill” – Scott Redding.

mk1tt16v - Unregistered

September 18, 2012 2:49 PM

@SC

weight doesn't make a difference in moto gp only its position does. i completely agree that marquez is an exceptional rider and is destined to be gp champion. and i think he would of one this years title either way.

Bartlett_valve - Unregistered

September 18, 2012 3:06 PM

I'm getting seriously cheesed off with Scott Redding going on and on about size and weight. What a sh*t excuse. Here's one for you Scott: A) lose weight B) P*ss off to a class like WSBK or BSB where your rubbish excuse won't matter.

Liam48

September 18, 2012 3:07 PM

I rate Scott very highly but his weight kills him. He is so much bigger than everyone else in Moto2 and this makes him push hard in the corners which destroys his tyres. Look at Marquez, I know he's good but he has such a weight advantage over the rest and especially Redding it's very unfair.

I see Marquez being a Pedrosa, brilliant in the lower categories but when there is a minimum weight limit in the top class then he'll meet his match where in MotoGP it'll suit Redding better.

Ian S - Unregistered

September 18, 2012 3:56 PM

He's right and the proof is there for all to see. When was the last time that there was a heavy or large champion in any GP class? I can't think of any without going back to the 60s.

Nick636

September 18, 2012 4:01 PM

@ CRT

I see this now! My bad mate.
I think my point goes back to what I've said before, I think he definitely deserves a spot in GP. specially if Smith does. I am keen to see what Bradley does on a machine that is known to be quick though. I just want mor ecompetition in GP. It's getting a little monotonous...

Sorry for jumping WAY off topic there

eddie oliver - Unregistered

September 18, 2012 4:09 PM

Same problem Rob McElnea had in the 80's, it really hampers you in a field full of relative lightweights.
It's easy to say ease up on the Macdonalds and control your diet but peoples metabolisms differ so much.

kenlucky - Unregistered

September 18, 2012 4:16 PM

No heavy spaniards in the series so can not see any rule change!!!
Posted by Chris

Spaniards are stereotypically envious complainers, but when it comes to racing, it is an "anglo-american" trait to complain, whine and come up with a cargo ship load of excuses as to why their "hero" fails.

When Americans and others were winning in 500GP, spaniards never complained. They never complained when Doohan was winning, or come up with Hayden like excuses (second fiddle,does not get the same parts and bla bla bla)in defense of Criville. Sure Spaniards wanted their rider to win, but not by twisting the rules or complain about them.

This is akin to a short, but skilled basketball player complaining about taller players! Freeting about the rules "hurt" short players and that to play basketball all you need is to be tall and bla bla...

B

blah - Unregistered

September 18, 2012 4:27 PM

Size does have a rather big impact in Moto2, but Redding and his fans are making too big of a deal out of it. Sure size matters, but surely Redding should be capable of winning at least one race, even at his size. If he was 10 seconds faster in a race, like the ones Iannone has dominated in the past, he could still win with his bigger body. The size thing is just a good riders excuse for not being the best.

4ysa - Unregistered

September 18, 2012 4:33 PM

I feel bad for the guy, I really do, but what are they supposed to do? Create a "Redding" rule essentially penalizing all the other riders by having them add balasts to their machines, just so that Jumbo Scott can catch them on the straights? On top of that, you'd have riders the size of the average 13 year old trying to wrestle around a heavier machine in the corners while Scott enjoys his physical size advantage chucking around a lighter bike.

I can shoot hoops pretty good, but at sub-6ft tall, I knew that making the NBA wasn't in the cards. And just as I'm sure there are people who love to ride horses, unless you're Dani Pedrosa sized I doubt you'll ever be a jockey in the Kentucky Derby.

Scott needs to accept that this category just isn't for him. He'd be much better suited to GP or WSBK where the bigger bikes/power can offset the rider size, so hopefully he ends up there.

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  »