MotoGP » Island feat 'may be step too far' for Stoner

'I think it's going to be tough to make it six in a row, but we'll definitely be there, even if they have to duct-tape me to the bike' - Casey Stoner

WylieCoyote

September 19, 2012 11:34 PM

Still people sprouting the garbage that Stoner said he would not go V8 racing. 2013 V8 Racing was not going to happen, he has NEVER said that he was not interested in racing it at some stage. Why does he have to stay in MotoGP? If he enjoys the thrill of racing then there are plenty of other series he can do that without the politics and travel. The V8 Supercars do go overseas, New Zealand, The Middle East and they will race at COTA in Texas before MotoGP does. But the series is mostly at home and Stoner can run his farm and participate full time in the series if he wished. Other successful drivers, such as Larry Perkins, have done exactly that. I doubt he would race in the domestic Superbikes. Way too dangerous!

WylieCoyote

September 19, 2012 11:54 PM

bjr..have you ever attended a V8 Supercar race? It is a family sport, not one for petrol heads. Attend any of the big races and you would see that. I am a big fan of V8 Supercars and and an not a boof head. Either are my mates who go with me or the wives or the kids. Stoner had said himself that he has to earn his place on the grid. V8 Supercar teams have many drivers to choose from for each spot on the grid. I expect that Stoner would start in the feeder category first, The Dunlop Series, where you get to drive the slightly older cars. I doubt very much if he will try and tackle the main series first, a mistake that Bayliss made.

Worsethanoob - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 12:03 AM

When casey came to moto gp fans attention on the 125s it was clear he was quite a talented lad,when he progressed through the 250s and on to the big boys he was extremely talented.....at smashing up all the bikes he rode,then fell off!
The one class that he has really clicked with was the dreadful 800s,obviously he is still quick on his new honda but as his riding style has improved his personality and humility has regressed.
He clearly has had enough of the moto gp paddock and the real fans of the series have had enough of him!!
Dont get me wrong,if you just want to see a guy rag the wheels off a bike for a lap he takes some beating but he has done nothing good for the sport which has put him in the enviable position of a mid twenties retirement!!!
Stay at home casey,watch phillip island on tv and look after your new family

MG - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 1:02 AM

Rossi would still kick that ass from down under out beating Casey in car driving. Rossi is a beast on a bike or car. He beat Colin McRae in his prime and drove a F1 car and was only shy from 1 second from top lap times. Which is alot if you drive them everyday..however Rossi doesn't. The man has talents. Casey, I lost alot respect for you. Go Rossi!

train spotter - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 1:14 AM

Can you answer my question now please? Who is the most successful rider over the last 7 years? I would love to hear your answer. Please just state the name of the rider instead of sqirming around the question like Realist does.

Well, there is only one rider who has managed to defend a title over the last 7 years, infact make that the last 10 years so, I think we can still say Rossi is the most successfull rider as the aim of all riders is to win the title and then to defend it in the following year...

Makrus - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 1:31 AM

I'm Australian and I like to see Australians do well, that's not to say he is my favourite rider but he is up there. When he announced his retirement I was really worried about next year I thought my level of enjoyment In the sport would die a little, but with Rossi coming back to Yamaha and Marquez stepping up I feel next year is going to be even more exciting, filled with on track controversy.

Makrus - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 1:45 AM

raafrebel that's a stupid thing to post not even remotely about this article let alone Motorsport. I'm sure if you were born in a different country your opinions would differ. Like I posted earlier I am Australian and happy to be one but to rattle off about being the best country with out probably even experiencing another makes you look a little foolish.

nafa - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 2:08 AM

Unless you are an Australian you have no what drives us and how much we miss home when we are not there. How good to be living with your entire family at home and racing in a series that Australians love more than any other motor sport.

bjr - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 2:42 AM

....bjr..have you ever attended a V8 Supercar race? It is a family sport, not one for petrol heads. Attend any of the big races and you would see that.....

Not for a very long time, so I suppose I'm out of date and you're right and things may be much more family oriented.

I find it difficult to get excited over the "sport" now as the organisers sweat over every tiny incident to bring out the so called "safety car" to bunch the cars up for the last 10 laps, which causes more accidents than it prevents but makes for great tv viewing. It's no different from the full tosses that start popping up in the cricket with a few overs to go to tighten up the run rate and the dirty move that the wrestler pulls on his opponent while the ref is looking the other way in WCW wrestling.

Maybe that's why I still watch F1 and MotoGP at least they let them race, even during the odd race the outcome is becoming pretty clear by 1/3 race distance.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  »