MotoGP » Nicky Hayden escapes serious injury in Aragon scare

“I thought I might hit the wall headfirst if I jumped off, so I let go right before impact. I'm sorry to tear up the bike” – Nicky Hayden.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Steve - Unregistered

September 30, 2012 8:43 PM

"The factory Ducati star speared off-track through the fast final turn at the end of lap two. Unable to slow down in the run-off area, the American then slammed into the tyre wall."

That was no tyre wall. It was just a wall. Shoddy reporting there.

Dorna sucks - Unregistered

September 30, 2012 9:08 PM

He is very lucky nothing was behind that wall and he landed on dirt so that helped soften his landing, but I would like to see him let go of the bike or lock the front tire and low side. The grass he went over was still wet and maybe he forgot how slippery it was. I hope he's back at the next race.

shamarone

September 30, 2012 9:29 PM

re: "That was no tyre wall. It was just a wall."

alot of their walls are tyres simply covered in signage for business and cosmetic reasons, but they do have more than a few areas of unprotected armco. they're under that false notion that the INSIDE of turns don't require protection (ie. road ATL). like a vehicle can't over-rotate and suddenly find itself on a trajectory PERPINDICULAR to an inside barrier (ie. simoncelli). curiously, they've changed one of the camera angles this year to show less of that "alcaniz wall" architectural feature they incorporated from the local town. while it made for a nice shot, that always seemed sketch to deliberately build a "brick wall" into at racetrack...? :rolleyes: they think nobody's paying attention, but many of us are.

RSG929 - Unregistered

September 30, 2012 10:03 PM

Glad he's OK as it looked nasty. But two things puzzle me - he knew about the corner and dropped the bike the previous day and not sure why he didnt do the same again as there was no way that was stopping on the surface.

The other puzzlement is that having seen such a close shave yesterday why an extremely portable air fence wasn't deployed PDQ.

raafrebel - Unregistered

September 30, 2012 11:54 PM

I am so glad that he is OK! Now that he is OK, all i can say is that was a very spectacular crash! I hope that some one on the track got some good pictures for him. Lucky he did not hit one of those dudes putting around on a scooter! lol
Ive been in that situation before on the track at a ride day, heading streight for a concrete wall, but i was lucky enough to just pull up endo style.
I had to change my shorts though as i sh!t myself!!

stan flange - Unregistered

September 30, 2012 11:57 PM

he rode bloody miles to hit that barrier. he could have dropped it a lot sooner. How far away do you want the barriers. you will need a telescope to watch the racing soon. Glad he was ok.

cruachan - Unregistered

September 30, 2012 11:59 PM

So glad Nicky's OK, but that is disgraceful for a modern Grand Prix circuit. Last time I saw a rider bounce over a wall was Connor Cummins at the TT, it should not be happening at an FIM homologated circuit.

« 1 2 3 4  »