MotoGP » Nicky Hayden escapes serious injury in Aragon scare

“I thought I might hit the wall headfirst if I jumped off, so I let go right before impact. I'm sorry to tear up the bike” – Nicky Hayden.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

shamarone

October 01, 2012 7:59 PM

re: "but I can say that having ridden that track less than two weeks ago, there is no possible way you could ever hit that wall. Camera shots are deceiving, but I rode a whole day without even realizing where the wall was. And even that being the case, they had protection in front of it."

yeah, there's armco in front then a pathway between that and the retaining wall o' bricks, but take caution on saying "no possible way" (never say never). i'm sure nobody thought a racer could take a short cut from the track to the access road behind T15...? until nicky came along and showed it COULD be done with a fine gold medal winning forward gainer with a 1/2 twist. a tweet just out from spies's echo's the observation...

"Gonna complain a bit... they built a track in the middle of nowhere with nothing in sight. You shouldn't be able to hit a wall if u try... dumb".

J - Unregistered

October 01, 2012 8:51 PM

“I thought I might hit it headfirst if I jumped off, so I let go right before impact. I'm sorry to tear up the bike, but I'm thankful for great safety equipment and to be okay.”

Screw trashing the bike Nick, they can build another one, they can't build another one of you!

Stykman - Unregistered

October 02, 2012 3:00 AM

Nicky, being the competitor he is, hung on for a split second too long in the hopes of somehow saving it. By the time he knew he wasn't going to save it he was headed straight for the wall and quite likely would have nailed it with his body, like he said, if he had jumped off at that point. That is why he hung on to the bitter end. Of course watching it in slow motion it seems obvious that he should have jumped immediately but these guys don't give up that easily or they wouldn't be where they are. I have jumped off my bike a couple of times when headed off track towards a wall while racing, and being way less of an animal than these guys, there was no hesitation. :)

Patrick - Unregistered

October 02, 2012 6:29 PM

"but take caution on saying "no possible way" (never say never). i'm sure nobody thought a racer could take a short cut from the track to the access road behind T15...? until nicky came along and showed it COULD be done with a fine gold medal winning forward gainer with a 1/2 twist."

Major difference here however. Your momentum NEVER carries you towards the direction of the brick wall. Meaning...it is on the inside of the corner and or behind you at all times. Nicky ran into a retaining wall that is on the outside of one of the fastest turns of any circuit in the championship. You are however correct in never say never. However to hit that wall would require a low side into the left hander, and then a Simoncelli-esqe freak accident of trying to fight it, regaining traction and the bike coming back across the track towards the *general* direction of the wall, however with the lean angle the bike would be carrying and the angle of approach in relation to the wall, the tires would wash o

Patrick - Unregistered

October 02, 2012 6:34 PM

out and lowside before the rider even contacted the barrier which is still a good ten feet (at least) from the wall. However, with that scenario, the real risk is exactly the fate that Simo met, from drifting across the race line and being hit by traffic.

At some point people just need to accept...this is motorcycle racing. One of the most insane forms of racing there is, by design. Not saying it has to be unnecessarily more risky, but how much safer could it possibly get?

BTW, Spies is obviously not referring to the Brick wall, but the retaining wall, which Nicky actually hit. And I fully agree. It needs to either go away, or be moved further back, or have air fence in front of it.

norrace

October 02, 2012 9:57 PM

There is no bigger fan of Nicky than me & super glad he isn't hurt bad (got to be sore though). It would seem that he had time to do something other than run into the wall but things are happening pretty fast at that speed. He obviously did what he though was best, if he had any time to think at all! I'm sure he will be in Motegi working harder than ever to get that damn thing sorted out,he's a tough nut. Spectacular crash,but did he stick the landing?

« 1 2 3 4