MotoGP » PICS: Mick Doohan rides Honda RCV

Changeling - Unregistered

October 27, 2012 12:18 PM

Look at that pic. A 5 times world champ jumps on a current MotoGP bike and all we get is a shot of his backside. Isn't it enough that we have to watch riders bottoms sliding from side-to-side with the seat cam during a race. I wont be able to take my wife from behind without thinking of Mick Doohan now.

RambRho - Unregistered

October 27, 2012 12:40 PM

Comment was made that it was different times and equipment, but the measure remains the same - how you do compare to your contemporary challengers and equipment. Doohan's record exceeds Casey's. Wouldn't Doohan/Rossi be a more relevant comparison?

WylieCoyote

October 27, 2012 12:59 PM

Remember that Honda took the screamer away from Doohan despite promising otherwise so others could ride the NSR500. The next season they let him have it back again and Giberneau tried it for a couple of races and was so scared he went slower than with the big bang. Honda would also give new parts to others before Mick. The fuel injection was worth a good 8 to 10KMH down the straight and they gave that to Okada who kept passing the bemused Doohan down the straight. If he had not got injured I think Mick would have tried the Yamaha for at least a season to shut up the critics.

True Fan - Unregistered

October 27, 2012 1:12 PM

@WylieCoyote "I think Mick would have tried the Yamaha for at least a season to shut up the critics."

It's kind of surprising that he didn't. After all, I remember a certain Wizz claiming that Lawson "couldn't win on a Honda"... and next year, there he was on a full factory satellite Honda when Doohan was still learning to tame the then quite violent NSR. Doohan and Lawson got on extremely well, and Lawson was somewhat of a mentor to Doohan for a while. Relations between the Rothmans team mates were frosty at best. But then again, maybe Doohan just didn't care. I remember Gibenau on that bike too! I must say, Gardner on that late 80s Honda had so many tank slappers, I'm surprised he's got any kids...ouch

samas

October 27, 2012 1:20 PM

@sonofsam.
I see you've been listening to some of my comments my son.
Yes Mick would have undoubtably have won at least 7 WCs had it not been for his cruel luck in the Dutch TT, but as Mick himself himself said today Casey had the traction control turned off and why doe's everyone say the 07 Ducati was so much faster than everything else IT WAS A BEAST it is still the fastest bike out there and after having truckloads of cash thrown at and the so called goat riding it where is it now.
And to those who say Ago well once again I met the bloke and liked him but most of his WCs he won with very little competition Hailwood was the man who beat him almost every time Ago did beat Hailwood for the 500cc class both ended the year on the same points but Ago had one more second podium also the 500cc Honda was a real mongrel.

john Cranberry - Unregistered

October 27, 2012 2:28 PM

@ Posted by herewego

Surely you werent around or have been watching Mick Doohan on his NSR500, that's Mick's style. WOW! Mick still rides this new RCV the same way he rode his NSR500 two strokes bigbang. can anybody post his lap time comparing the RCV to his NSR??? I'd love to see

« 1 2 3 4 5  »