MotoGP » Casey Stoner: I’ll be at Valencia

“I can't ask for a better way to end my career in Australia, but at the same time I'm not finishing here” – Casey Stoner.

Pam

October 31, 2012 10:42 PM

That cork screw pass seems ok to me. I very seriously doubt that Rossi or Stoner consider it worth remembering. Rossi has made better passes. In fact he made better passes in that race, as did Stoner. Stoners pass in turn one is incredible. Anybody who's raced at Laguna knows what a monster corner that is. And Rossi made some truly gutsy passes as well.

The good old days :-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfPM77TsGaA

Pam

October 31, 2012 11:04 PM

Codger. I think the reason people take issue with that pass is that Rossi overshot the turn, he was basically out of control, went off track and then came back on. True he was ahead going in and coming out, the fact remains he had to go off track to make that pass work. There have be some instances in F1 that were very similar, a pass recently by Hamilton comes to mind and he was penalized. Personally, I want to see that sort of aggressive riding. I'm sick of all these penalties. Also I think it was you who said that pass didn't win the race. You, or whoever, are quite right. That race was won when Stoner late braked himself and went wide. That's never happened before right? Oh wait, Pedrosa did that last weekend and I didn't see any denigrating comments about that one :-) Motogp will miss having a rider like Stoner, one willing to push it to the limit to win. What we have now are riders on rails. Not cool.

True Fan - Unregistered

October 31, 2012 11:33 PM

Stoner IS respected by the motorcycling community, especially the top riders. It's true that some (mostly Rossi) fans don't like him, but that's a different thing entirely, and any of them that don't respect him are no loss.

True Fan - Unregistered

October 31, 2012 11:53 PM

@Pam FIM rule 1.21.3
"Riders should use only the track and the pit-lane...."

Had Stoner protested, Rossi would likely have been penalised, and Rossi's fans would be outraged. They usually are. The pass possibly breached other rules...e.g. riding responsibly. Having said that, that pass wasn't one that Stoner had issue with, because it wasn't actually dangerous. It made the race more exciting, and it is ancient history.

Stoner didn't protest, but criticised Rossi for other moves which put him in dangerous situations. He is quite within his rights to do that, and of course, Rossi criticised some of Lorenzo's moves early on at Yamaha. Rossi fans were predictably outraged...and clueless.

True Fan - Unregistered

November 01, 2012 12:12 AM

@Pam I forgot to add...I agree with your comments in general there...racing is meant to be about, well, racing! That means dicing, stalking prey, breaking away from the pursuing pack and all the rest...

Pam

November 01, 2012 12:20 AM

I hear what you're saying and take no issue with your position. I think it was border line at best and probbably against the rules. But I would have let it go :) you are very correct though in that the rule is in place not just to prevent an unfair advantage but for safety. Rossi could have easily lost it and slid back on track in front of stoner. The result could have been tragic. But if you watch that race were a lot of dodgy passes made by both riders! And I loved it!

jfc1 - Unregistered

November 01, 2012 1:23 AM

Stoner had the same problem that Spies has now. How do you get to be 25 and not know what you can and can't eat without getting sick? He can't entirely blame his lost races and poor results on "lactose intolerance". It's pretty clear that he should have known that he was LI before he got too sick to ride (well). What, did he need House to figure that out for him?

So that's a mark against him and his career that he will have to live with, but clearly when he was on his game he made up for it. The problem was getting on his game. And then he bails trying to beat Pedrosa...see you can only blame so many of your problems on other people.

...Sigh - Unregistered

November 01, 2012 1:48 AM

Everybody refers to Laguna 08 as Rossi finally breaking Stoner mentally... So what was Catalunya 07? Stoner refused to be intimidated by a multiple world champion, and rightly so. How else do you win otherwise? This no doubt annoyed Rossi and his fans.. I suppose it's the Rossi fans that keep mentioning Laguna..
And yeh Stoner can be a bit of a prat at times, but at least he's not hiding behind a facade of PR. I'm pretty sure we're all unlike-able at times, except we don't have the media breathing down our necks to highlight it.
Aussie's have a very small tolerance for bullsh!t, I'm sure he has his reasons for retiring, and I'm sure Rossi isn't even on the list.

WylieCoyote

November 01, 2012 2:25 AM

Watch the video of the corkscrew pass. He leaves the track and even the commentators make the observation. It was a pass as he went off the track as a result of diving on the inside and overshooting the next corner. Stoner also passed Rossi on the outside of some corners and down the mini straight. I do believe there was one other time Rossi went off the track which was reported by some on track observers but missed by the TV coverage. You can just catch him heading off tack before the camera changes. It was just after diving on the inside and once again overshooting. So there were at least two incidents that Stoner regarded as unsafe. Stoner has had plenty of close races but his call was some of that was a bit dodgy. He didn't complain about loosing. He made an observation that anybody who is fair would say was correct.

Greg - Unregistered

November 01, 2012 2:33 AM

"He can't entirely blame his lost races and poor results on "lactose intolerance"." umm he doesn't, were do the haters get dribble like this?? LI was only an issue in '09 and you can aquire it as you age, see Caseys '07 and '08 seasons where it wasn't a problem for reference.

« 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  »