MotoGP » Casey Stoner heads for last MotoGP race

"It's not going to be easy, but it would be nice to get another good result in my final race in MotoGP" - Casey Stoner.

Codger

November 08, 2012 10:56 AM

@ SlideRules
Don't be so sensitive, I wasn't undermining Casey or his achievements. In my opinion he could have achieved a lot more, that's all.
You are so right in the points that you made except the last couple that were uncalled for.
X Titles is what defines achievement for everyone, not just me.
Having witnessed rule changes since 1958 I can say that some worked & some didn't. So, no, I do not welcome Dornas' constant rule changes.
Lastly, because I watch racing I am able to form my opinions, rightly or wrongly.
I haven't been to a Circus since I was a kid, I don't like cruelty to animals.

Codger

November 08, 2012 11:05 AM

@ Slide Rules
I have long advocated a return to a rule which went out in the 70s, namely dropping off a few of the riders' worst performances. It evens out loss of points due to injuries, mechanical failures, being taken out by other riders, etc. Riders that can win, like Stoner, benefit over the points gatherers, and it stops riders sitting on a lead. The system was dropped because there were fewer races in those days and sometimes top riders would stay away from later rounds.
One way I suppose is to count 6 out of 9 for the first half of the season added to 6 out of 9 for the second half.

Boner - Unregistered

November 08, 2012 11:10 AM

@RSMick...Yep..lot of talented guys who have given the champs run for their money. All are talented. But in the end X titles is what matters. You might be watchin Motogp for whatever reasons, You might have a better memory than Einstein, but in the end...X titles is what matters. Relax..have a beer. Valentino has 9 of them. :)

RSMick

November 08, 2012 11:30 AM

And as I said Boner X titles do not matter to everyone. Especially as most of you go on about the present mentioning Rossi's 9 but see very few mentions of Ago's 15.
When Lorenzo has 5 more people will mention his 9 and not Rossi's, with the difference being they watch it for more than 1 guy and not wear a very feminine yellow in front of the tv.

Slide Rules! - Unregistered

November 08, 2012 11:36 AM

Makes me laugh to hear critics 'advocating' for old style competition while openly supporting a rider receiving a championship winning bike for finishing midpack. As I've always said, I shudder to think of the talent that never got the chance because others overstayed their welcome.
It's hard to judge 'potential' when anothers popularity stifles opportunity.
Stoner on the M1? If only eh Codger?

Boner - Unregistered

November 08, 2012 11:45 AM

That's right...X titles do not matter to everyone. But from the beginning of this century a sports person is judged as to how good he or she is by the X titles. Be it any form of sport, you have a Federer, Shumacher, Loeb, Bolt and of course, your favorite...Valentino. Tomorrow if Jorge gets 9 or 10 titles, ofcourse..he'll be considered better than Valentino. But why so bitter that you see the feminine Yellow everywhere.. :)

Boner - Unregistered

November 08, 2012 11:49 AM

@Slide Rules...Stoner on the M1? That would be something to watch out for. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets a title on that too. But 4 titles on M1? Dont think hez tough enough for that. :) Only a hardcore can do that. By the way, he needs to attend testing during the winter aswell. Lot of work you know, dont think he would be up for that. :)

Codger

November 08, 2012 11:58 AM

@ Slide Rules
"If only", I agree. I would sooner see Redding on one though.
Don't confuse my desire to see the Ducati succeed with my support for anyone.
I'm glad I provided you with a laugh although I think you missed the point. Changing the score system might have given Casey another Title, might even have given him back to back Titles which he didn't achieve.

RSMick

November 08, 2012 12:01 PM

I have no problem with Mr Rossi apart from his attacks on other riders which have come back to bite him.
Its his muppet fans who cannot appreciate the talent of other riders in the field, and worse of all those who believe Stoner can only win on the best bike. But I suppose they were not watching 2002 to 2005.

« 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  »