MotoGP » Colin Edwards eyeing FTR-M1 for 2014?

"We don't know what's going to happen in 2014 engine wise, as it looks like Yamaha might be leasing some engines" – Colin Edwards

pukka - Unregistered

November 17, 2012 5:37 PM

Should have gone back to WSC and won a few more titles instead of being a mid-pack rider in the lame ass ''feeder'' class. I don't get it, is the paycheck that bloody good.

Bloody electrons - Unregistered

November 18, 2012 4:19 PM

It's not all about chassis design. Admittedly it keeps the wheels pointing in the same direction. But more importantly electronics plays the biggest part in the factory dominance. Just read up on the perceived advantage the Honda gearbox has with increased gear change speed as much as 40 mS EVERY gear change, how many gear changes per lap? It also helps with mid corner bike stability, the reason the Hondas ALWAYS destroy the Yamahas on high speed corner exits. Read and understand JLO statements regarding what he cannot do in comparison to the Hondas. The importance of TC and anti wheelie, I HATE anti wheelie, it KILLS the spectacle. All these give the also rans no chance. The Roberts V5 was in the era of when these rider aids were in their infancy. Not that long ago admittedly. Something has to be done, But I don't know what. More restrictions? Development caps? Fuel stops? Two tyre rule? DO FOLLOW OR LEAD?

Bloody electrons - Unregistered

November 18, 2012 4:28 PM

Almost forgot, just listen to the Honda's downshifting, not only faster upshifting but downshifting as well. Will the lease engines have these? I doubt it, Honda have spent billions of Yen here with a single assigned gearbox technician per bike. This is their closely guard secret technology. It should have been banned.

G22 - Unregistered

November 18, 2012 10:01 PM

@Bloody electrons so you want to dumb motogp down I thought it was supposed to be a prototype class with development. Where is the testing ground for what our production models will use ? if you want production racing with all the controls go to the national championships.

Bloody electrons - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 1:11 AM

Ain't advocating dumbing down, far from it. But nobody can deny the fact that modern MotoGP is losing the spectacle. It would be nice to see a more level playing field
d, but the fact is Honda have a very special package, the whole package, and a couple of fast kids riding them. These tiny incremental advantages over a full race distance have lead IMO to a pretty dire race season. Just look at Nicky's and Vale's results. Prototypes admittedly, but something has to change, and it will change. Can't say I blame Stoner, a racer wonts to race and prove he is the best, like a boxer, I'm sure one day we will learn his reasons for retiring, his great riding style will be missed by all, even the haters. He grew up with a mechanical throttle and brake, I recently heard he had on board tyre temp displays, now don't tell me those will be standard on your Blade in 2014. MotoGP will disappear up Honda's ar$e, and we all will be the poorer for it. In stark contrast I found myself watching the whole

Bloody electrons - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 1:46 AM

I found myself watching the whole of the American F1 race. This Formula has turned itself around, and what a "coincidence" it is now covered by SKY TV. I can't remember the last full F1 race I watched. We need SKY back broadcasting MotoGP, or Bernie to suddenly to adopt MotoGP. Where did this conversation start? It's prototype racing, not really anymore for me, the world financial crisis destroyed that, with only Honda developing MotoGP technology. The rest are just playing catch up. We didn't even talk about CRTs. Got any suggestions? I remember the days when we had race fuels, variable compressions, water injection in the exhausts, direct fuel injection, the great tyre wars, all were mythical performance enhancing devices, not "rider aids".

Gypsy - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 2:24 AM

Why worry about 2014

No matter what, CE is past his prime, proven by being in MotoGP for 8 years on good bikes but never winning one race.

Rarely on the podium.

Too many young guns now who can ride and are prepared to take risks.

It takes longer to heal as you get older, Colin knows that.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7  »