MotoGP » F1 impressed with new US MotoGP venue

"I'm sure it will quickly earn a reputation for being one of the greatest racetracks in the world"

Filter Comments: All | Registered

bigd - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 7:43 PM

To GoAustin,

i was @ T15,1 and 7,8,9-11(3days). i think T12-T16 are the best for close up. @ T9 is the closest to the track, but the cars going through there faster than T12-15

M1M - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 7:43 PM

"Yeah watch the bikes go round 30 seconds slower than the F1 cars per lap. Have a 45 minute race and call it a Grand Prix. Not to mention some bikes might fall over at some point too."

Funny how the F1 car boys talk about 'dropping' their cars in bends when they spin off to try to make their snorefests sound dramatic and dangerous. Same thing with 'tank slappers' when they have a minor front wheel wobble. If cars had their downforce cut dramatically or banned, they'd lap slower too, but be a lot more interesting to watch as drivers might sctually overtake using skill rather than gimmicks like KERS and DRS. The cars wouldn't ruin track surfaces so badly either - they create more berms and bumps than truck racing. COTA will be knackered after hosting a few more F1 races.

GoAustin - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 8:07 PM

@bigd, thanks for the feedback. 12 seemed like the best spot for car overtaking to me, but sometimes the bikes find a different spot. 11 was pretty cool, too. Hell, it was all cool. I've been to many, many tracks, and the only ones to rival CoTA for elevation changes are Laguna, Elkhart, and Spa. Unlike so many new tracks this one did not seem like it was designed by a computer using an algorithm written to encourage safety over passing.

Jim Clausen

November 19, 2012 9:57 PM

What was the ticket price for the F1 race at COTA? I was quoted over $7,000 for a 4 day ticket. This was with 4 nights at the Austin Hotel, single occupancy. Nothing else available. The price for motor home parking was $15,000 (that's fifteen thousand) for the F1 event only. Any subsequent events required ticket purchases. Neither fools, nor rich people would pay those prices, only rich fools, which there are few of.

GoAustin - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 10:40 PM

I picked up 2 Friday-only General Admission tickets 2 weeks before the race. Total with shipping was $65. Fortunately for me I live 90 minutes from the track so lodging was not an issue, but I did hear horror stories. There are many towns along the I35 corridor and I would imagine reasonable rooms could be had with some looking, if one was willing to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to/from the track.

Doctor Chocolate - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 11:07 PM

V8 is just mad because he doesn't know how to ride a motorcycle. It's too dangerous and he's too scared of the big scary motorcycles that are loud, fast, and can fall over. Even your own F1 stars admit that motorcycle racers are the real heroes.

GoAustin - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 11:32 PM

I ride sportbikes on the street and have done track days and autocrosses on 4 wheels for years, but will freely admit I don't have the stones to take any of my bikes to the track. Racing anything at any level requires skill, some degree of bravery, and perhaps ignorance, but my hat is off to those who compete on two (and sometime one, or no) wheels. I've loved sportscar and F1 racing my whole life, but watching someone like John McGuinness go airborne, leaned completely over, at 185 mph inches from a stone wall, or Casey Stoner doing the same for that manner on a "sterile" modern track, leaves me gobsmacked. I'm looking forward to watching it firsthand in a few months.

cappajacka - Unregistered

November 19, 2012 11:37 PM

Yea, f1 is a opera compared to MotoGP! Onely the rich can afford all thoughs fancy cars and mods! Thoughs are the people with a whole brain to get on the track and go slow and stay safe! While bikes, a man can get in it cheaper and go faster! I'll dust any of thoughs porsh guys on my bike with lower lap times! F1 cars are different! In just one race of sbk is more passes then in a year of f1...the Texas race was the best f1 race in a long time! Ham did a great job!
Cars are cool but it takes more to ride a bike @ 90% and above! And its so much funner! How was your ride in f1? Oh, you did not get that chance and you never will! Not even if your a multi- milly snob-air....

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »