MotoGP » F1 impressed with new US MotoGP venue

"I'm sure it will quickly earn a reputation for being one of the greatest racetracks in the world"

Filter Comments: All | Registered

shockjock - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 12:42 AM

I watched a bit from T12 and that looked pretty darn good. I think T15 was good for the close tight stuff, but didn't give much view overall. I watched the most from some posh seats in the main grandstand, near the T1 end, right on the start line, supplied by my teammate (fellow motorbike endurance racer. Awesome view of T1 and the high speeds and braking leading up to it. Was close enough I could have hit any car in the first two rows with my drink. For F1, it was also a great location to watch the pitstops. For bikes, maybe not as much fun unless rain forces bike changes. The blend line from pit-out to T1 is scary, but not an issue for shorter races. Now that I've seen the place, I'm pretty sure that my blind purchase of MotoGP reserved tickets in the T1 bleachers was a good call. THAT was my real takeaway from the weekend. Was a blast.

budro - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 1:20 AM

This weekend (Sunday) was great. I live in East Austin and was able to skip most of the traffic by hopping on my bicycle and dropping it off at a guarded drop off area. Then took a quick shuttle the rest of the way. It was a beautiful day and the general admission around turns 6 7 and 8 wasn't very crowded and was awesome to see the different lines that each diver took.

I race on two wheels as a part of the CMRA here in Texas so it will be that much sweeter next year for Moto GP.

Dilip Kumar - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 5:13 AM

Great circuit layout planning. Being inspired by parts of some of the great circuits, and varying features, is what has built in contrast and a comprehensive layout.
Looking forward to grand prix riders enjoying the swoops and sweeps of COTA. They will add racing lines that drivers cannot explore.

TORCAN - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 3:22 PM

Why all the hate between F1 and MotoGP? I watch all forms of racing and respect the specific skills each class requires. If the quality of racing was determined only by max G forces in turns and outright speed than RedBull Air Racing is top dog, no? F1, Moto,Rally etc. all good to me.

GDJAM6 - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 4:17 PM

Bikes are like, cool and stuff. Motocross, dirt-track roadracing, supermoto etc. etc. etc.

Oh yeah and, like, cars are, like, cool and stuff too. Sport car racing, prototype racing, muscle cars exotics etc etc etc. Even drag racing and stock cars are considered cool by many.

I dont think it's a pissing contest, or needs to be anyway.

You people are out of your tits. Embrace it all you knuckleheads, or you are missing out.

Koeiekut - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 4:54 PM

Compared to Philip Islandor Assen, this circuit is a joke.just like the china circuit,it has no camberof offcamber corners, flat flat flat.so it will be tires and equipment that make the difference, not the rider. on oldskoolcircuits the rider is more importantandmorefun.

eINSTEIN - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 5:16 PM

Another troll surfaces. Flat? Have you been to CoTA? Did you even watch any of the race coverage? There is over 130 feet of elevation change. Virtually every corner from 1 through 11 has a drop, a climb, camber, or some combination thereof. The four-apex complex towards the end of the lap is both extremely technical and very fast, requiring equal parts bravery and skill. Troll.

Observer - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 8:25 PM

I thought the track looked terrific. I hope they do open it up for track days at something resembling a reasonable rate. A set of new track tires and I'm all over it.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6