MotoGP » Marquez on the move

Repsol Honda MotoGP rookie Marc Marquez stops off in Japan ahead of private test at Sepang.

signups - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 4:25 PM

Well, I believe whilst MM is a marvel in the lower classes, he will find the top class has stronger and mentally tougher competition. A new Casey Stoner he isnt... Stoner was about .64 off the top in his first test in the big class... MM is about where Dani and Jorge were when they debuted. And as such I think we can expect the same from him, fast debut, maybe a pole early, early podiums, some big crashes, and genuine threat in 2014... The more I see the more I realise just what an exceptional talent CS was, despite all the aspects of his personality that annoy!

Md Zane - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 5:23 PM

The door into the wind tunnel is just a cover up,it actually conceals a tunnel to a gigantic bunker that contains 18 full size replica race track to be visited next year

9870 - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 6:14 PM

What's with all the crying? The point of racing is to win and to keep your sponsors happy. To do so you must invest, and there isn't a young talent out there who's worth betting on more than Marquez.

It's the GP class: best riders on the best bikes, and the rest get satellites and CRTs. Nothing new here.

Oh, and many of the other riders do wind tunnel test too. It's just not news unless you're potentially the next great one.

But yeah...keep blaming it on his passport.

J - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 6:21 PM

Not really sure what you all are up in arms about? The dude is a factory rider that has high expectations on him. This is not the 1990's or early 2000 when unlimited testing was the norm. Also he is not given any special treatment with this private test as all rookies were allowed by the FIM/MGP rules to do additional testing (2-3 if I remember correctly)that is why Vale cannot do any extra test with yamaha...he is not a rookie.
Also the comparison to Stoner is not valid... different bikes more complex electronics and the track surface was new and damp in Valencia which either hurt or helped him. If it help then it also helped Dani to go even faster on familiar equipment which makes it a moot point.
In all the dude is getting flack for being good and having the opportunity to ride the Honda!! Being Spanish is irrelevant because he is the best of the Moto2 crop every factory probably wanted him..

J - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 6:44 PM

I am not Spanish so make sure that your responses do not try to say that is why I have this opinion. If you have any valid reason to say MM is not the best of his former class then prove it to me. Prove to me why his Suter chassis, standard issue Moto2 Honda engine was so much better than everyone else's!! Why was he able to ride from last to first in multiple races on a Suter chassis that was abandoned by former Moto2 champ Elias? Why hasn't Nico Terol (who I like) done close to the same on the same bike and all the rest of the Suter riders for that matter? I think Esparago deserved a shot in MGP over Smith (and Iannone) but I see no one on here protesting that! Marquez is the real deal but that is not to say he will win or be MGP world Champ, just that as a prospect, he is most deserving/proven investment and that is what happened!!
PS Go Rossi... lol and MM and DP and JL

rogerio.alves@gmail.com - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 6:52 PM

Many of you don't like Marquez, specially because of his aggressive riding, and motorcycle racing still being a dangerous sport, I can respect that.

But I do hope he keeps his aggressive style even at the big class. MotoGP races do need true grit and fighting on the race track, something that Lorenzo voluntarily lost and that Pedrosa still didn't develop enough (and Rossi is still to be seen to have kept).

Of course what MotoGP doesn't need is over-the-head and dangerous moves. I, for one, do think that Marquez bad rep is a bit exagerated. He may need to review some of his tactics but I hope he keeps his aggression (and under control)

rogerio.alves@gmail.com - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 6:57 PM

@J,
I agree with you about Pol Espargaro. I think he was the only one to keep Marquez honest even if I do like Iannonne style a lot.

Marquez was above everyone in any case in Moto2 and he is the greatest prospect since JLo, but I still wouldn't put my mortgage money on him wining races just yet.

tucker - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 7:11 PM

I think Marc will surprise a few at Qatar. I think his rookie season will have 1 or 2 wins in it, but he will crash too much and pick up an injury at some point in season and probably finish 4th overall. But come 2014 I think we have a bonified Championship winning contender in him.

« 1 2 3 4 5  »