MotoGP » You mark MotoGP 5.6 out of 10 for entertainment

French MotoGP voted most entertaining race of 2012

Ian S - Unregistered

December 13, 2012 4:59 AM

That's a pretty low number for the pinnacle of our sport. I wonder what the numbers would have been for Moto 2 and Moto 3, both of which were much more entertaining IMO. My favourite series of the year had to be BSB.

Rhino

December 13, 2012 7:22 AM

Close the gap between the CRT and the prototypes and you might get a a higher score. The CRT's are too restricted to compete.

if you want entertainment watch WSB.

Pete - Unregistered

December 13, 2012 7:33 AM

I have ridden and watched bikes for 38 years now and watching Moto GP now is terrible. The odd race has a battle but buy and large it's not entertaining at all. The Sheene/Roberts era was great. The early 90's with Kevin, Wayne, Mick etc were awesome!!
But now................ dull, dull, dull.
WSB is so much better for the spectator.
Such a shame.

Oli

December 13, 2012 7:43 AM

The problem that MotoGP has is that it responded to the loss of the tobacco industry money by relying on the factories to use MotoGP to sell road bikes. That was fine in 2004, the world had money, and MotoGP had Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia etc.

But when the economy issues hit, half the factories pulled out. I am sure Suzuki, Kawasaki etc would have stayed in MotoGP if they'd had tobacco money paying for it. In addition, all the other factories have scaled back support - Honda had 7 factory or semi factory v4 NSRs in 1998 in addition to another 3 v-twins. Now it has barely a third of that.

The need to cut costs is the underlying issue and the sport will continue to struggle until it recognises that.

We all want to see MotoGP remain a prototype sport but unless changes are made, Honda and Yamaha will continue to spend silly money on beating each other and no one else will be able to compete.

Oli

Bradenws

December 13, 2012 7:45 AM

When Lorenzo and Pedrosa finally went head to head in a great battle I told my roommate that this is why we watch motogp, why we tough out all the boring processoionals, etc. I told him I'd been waiting five years now for the new gen to produce a Rossi-level duel. It shouldn't be this way, we should have nail-biters almost every weekend.

And I know I invoked his name, but please don't let my Rossi reference turn this into a stupid vitriol thread...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »