MotoGP » MotoGP Rider of the Year vote: 2nd

You vote Jorge Lorenzo 2nd in Crash.net's MotoGP Rider of the Year poll

M1M - Unregistered

December 30, 2012 5:50 PM

"Jorge could consistently podium without pressure to close out the WC."

He didn't 'just' podium though, he finished second in every race he didn't win, (apart from DNFs), and that was the difference in consistency which won him the championship and why I would've put Lorenzo in first.

M1M - Unregistered

December 30, 2012 6:51 PM

I wanted to stay on topic as every thread in this poll has ended up the same but we were told from the start that 2 factory riders hadn't made the top 10. One of them was clearly Spies and as Hayden was 10th, it was obvious the other was Rossi. Can anyone imagine any of the remaining factory riders, Lorenzo, Stoner, Pedrosa, wouldn't have made the top 10, regardless of any supposed fan block votes? So I can't understand the "I do hope Rossi isn't no. 1". What's more, while some may underestimate the competitiveness of the 2004 M1, Rossi still had to ride the wheels off it to beat the Honda's. The tyres were scalloped after every race. His team mate finished 7th in the standings. Stoner's brilliant performances on various Ducatis is rightly compared to his team mates, so give Rossi his due too.

MrQwerty

December 30, 2012 6:53 PM

Whilst I would have put Lorenzo top, I won't argue too strongly, the margins were slim, but Lorenzo's only mistake came when the title was already won which would tip the balance in my view.

DJ from TJ - Unregistered

December 30, 2012 8:00 PM

I can't see why Dani got first vote, Lorenzo was the better rider ALL YEAR not just second half, after Assen he had to manage his lead the best way specially with one less engine and the Hondas being so quick after Laguna. Cal said it best "Jorge makes the Yamaha look faster than it really is..." No disrespect to Dani he was awesome, but cracked under pressure in Phillip Island, and I doubt he lead the way he was chasing, plus it was a lot easier to win with the fastest bike when the fastest guys is not around, just saying....

sokudo - Unregistered

December 30, 2012 8:42 PM

Agree with this vote. Nothing against Lorenzo, he was mightily consistent but the first half of the season had him, a team geared towards him (due to Spies' issues) and the best bike. Pedrosa had a world class team mate (the reigning champion Stoner), an equal team and a very fast but slightly unstable bike. When Stoner was injured, Pedrosa got the same treatment, a team geared towards him. The bike improved and Pedrosa looked like a man possessed. It is easy to say Jorge didn't push because he didn't need to but it's obvious to me that he only did so when he realised he couldn't live with Dani's pace. So I have to pick Pedrosa over J-Lo for this season. If Dani keeps his form, next season should be a cracker.

Ian - Unregistered

December 30, 2012 10:29 PM

Lorenzo had a truely amazing season. Not just consistent but also dominat in wins. I think one reason Dani finished ahead of him in this pole is that Rossi fans can't bear the thought of a rider having a great season or performance on their own merits. It's always something else, better bike, more top speed, better tyres, TC, injuries. Never just better, which is what Lorenzo is. But kudos to Dani. He did have a good run at the end of the season.

TalentFan

December 30, 2012 10:35 PM

@ M1M I would say though that JL getting several 2nds behind DP in the 2nd half of the WC (when it was effectively a 2-horse race between JL & DP except for PI when DP fell off going for broke) isn't the same achievement as it would be in a more competitive environment.
DP had to push every single race in the 2nd half to claw back a points deficit so was under greater pressure all season. Jorge though had earned his points cushion in the first place tho granted. JL's crash at Valencia was I think a result of it being no WC to protect & a desperate desire to win a race & beat Dani before the off-season (& he overcooked it).
I wouldn't have objected to either JL or DP getting the No1 vote - tbh its a very close call in my book.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »