MotoGP » MotoGP Rider of the Year vote: Full Results

Your full results for the 2012 Crash.net MotoGP Rider of the Year vote.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

studs

December 31, 2012 1:46 PM

"@ Studs...thanks for being gentle with me :)"

No worries :) Disagreement and its good natured and reasoned discussion is what it's all about. What I always very much dislike here is all the aggressive and illogical fanboyism, and I rarely post because of it... but seeing as it's quiet...

"I really thought it was whether you thought they deserved a vote or not.
Then again, I often get things wrong as Slide Rules will tell you."

Not wrong as such... just you failed to appreciate that ranking ROTY takes a little thought about a numbers of parameters. Only then can it be reasonably decided if a rider deserved to be placed higher than another over the year. As it happened I legitimately (IMHO) found ten other riders to place above Rossi (in the same way I found five to place above Stoner).

BTW, I'm not saying I'm right... but I do have a well reasoned argument to form my opinion... :)

samas

December 31, 2012 1:52 PM

cont.
Fast and heaps of power, but it handled very badly it made the Ducati look like a dream machine.
Ago only beat Hailwood by one or two points to win one WC Hailwood won all the rest.
As I've mentioned in previous posts Duke also deserves an honorable mention as he won three WCs on a Norton against the might of Gilera before getting signed up by Gilera and winning them another three WCs.
Also don't forget those guys were racing for peanuts.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL.

Codger

December 31, 2012 1:57 PM

@ studs...nice response. And I'm not saying anyone is wrong. I gave a couple of reasons why I thought Rossi should be in the top 10, others disagree and that's how it should be. Maybe if I had mentioned Dovi or Bautista first then I wouldn't get jumped on but I was responding to Jack B.
I stand by my comments on Rossi and if he had tried any harder then he would be injured like Nicky.
However it is harder for me to accept that Dovi wasn't higher.

Tetley

December 31, 2012 2:24 PM

This thread should be about DP26's win, but, the Rossiknockers are out in force as usual and as expected are deflecting the discussion towards their obsession.
We need to remember that this poll was about "Rider of the YEAR", not of "All Time".
Personally I thought VR46 had a bad 2012 and reflected that in my markings.
We also need to remember that it was Colin Edwards who christened Rossi as the GOAT. Will anyone who disagrees with CE5 please tell us why they rate their own opinion above that of one of MotoGP's longest serving and most forthright riders.

samas

December 31, 2012 2:37 PM

@Tetley.
Yes he's been there for a long time and never won a race even Bayliss won one and after many less years he said he'd had his chance and it didn't work out, I guess the diehards will say Loris let him win as he was second Yea right.

Codger

December 31, 2012 4:25 PM

@ Samas....I've been following bike racing since 1955, and you? You mention Duke, what about Bill Lomas? Both were just before I got interested in the sport. I was a big fan of Phil Read too, any thoughts?
There was room for individualism in those days. Times change and I change with them (4 kids makes sure of that) so I don't say those days were better than today, just different. I have things that I don't like about today, one line racing, Manufacturers running the show, only midgets being successful etc. etc. Having said that I am quite happy to be living in this era or any other. Best sport in the World (the only one in my opinion).

Steady Eddie was one of the greats and doesn't get much recognition, I sometimes wonder why.

Polls are fun, nothing more, it does keep the close season a bit more bearable I suppose.

drifter - Unregistered

December 31, 2012 5:50 PM

i have been watching motogp since u were a infant.
stoner falling on raceday or practice or quali its his fault that he over tried and crashed.he shud know the limits.i not saying stoner is bad (he's fast) but this year he didnt deserve 3rd.
He crashed missed races its his fault simple.
suppose ben spies won 3 race on row and miss next 10 by injury.so we can say he would have won champ but in races whoever is smart consistent wins.no ifs
that y stoner shud be placed below cal and dovi(bautista probably)
simple