MotoGP » MotoGP Rider of the Year vote: Full Results

Your full results for the 2012 Crash.net MotoGP Rider of the Year vote.

M1M - Unregistered

December 31, 2012 7:46 PM

I didn't take part in the poll so can anyone clarify whether it was actually possible to vote a rider down, (as some claim), as opposed to up? In other Crash polls I've seen it's impossible. Crash eventually sorted out the 'Agree/Disagree' votes to prevent multiple clicks being made without multiple IP addresses, so unless a significant number of rabid fans went to the trouble of setting up bouncers/proxies to vote up everyone but the rider they wanted to push down the list, the result wouldn't have been skewed. It seems that either there aren't as many Rossi fans on Crash as people assume, or else the (silent?) majority are a lot more objective than they are given credit for. I myself find the pro and anti brigade to be equally irrational, biased and selective in their use of facts and at the end of the day, ROTY is merely a poll of Crash site visitors' opinions.

thomps000

December 31, 2012 10:50 PM

Dani had a great year, by far his best. But, how much of that was due to the new spec Honda that he had and how much of it was down to pure skill? Is he a great rider? Absolutely. But he always has his issues and I feel like the bike helped him push past that more than his skill. He deserves to be either 1 or 2 with the season he had. However, I feel like the Honda was way too good of a bike than the Yamaha the second half of the season.

Tetley

December 31, 2012 11:04 PM

@ Samas....I've been following bike racing since 1955, and you? You mention Duke, what about Bill Lomas? Both were just before I got interested in the sport. I was a big fan of Phil Read too, any thoughts?
I don't say those days were better than today, just different. Polls keep the close season a bit more bearable I suppose. Posted by Codger"
I don't know about Samas, but my Dad first took me to Cadwell around 1955 when I was about 11 years old. Lomas was a regular there, as was my favourite Bob McIntyre. I saw Read race there, and Redman. And on three wheels, Florian Camathias and Jackie Beeton, and later Rolf Biland.
Are you from Lincolnshire by any chance?
Happy New year to all posters - we all agree on one thing - Bike Sport is Best.

samas

January 01, 2013 12:52 AM

@Tetley.
Yes I have fond memories of a lot of racers, man I cried for a week when Ray Amm was killed and although a lot older was devastated by the death of Bob Mac one of my all time favs I seen him at the UGP 62 he won the 250 on a Honda 4 by a country mile Mike Hailwood was second a race that is still imbedded in my memory. Yes I remember Bill Lomas Fergus Anderson and Hugh, Bill Ivy rarely mentioned was in my opinion better than P Reed I recall Ivy handing Reed his a$$ before following team orders and letting Reed win, do you remember the controversy over that Reed lost a lot of fans for not filling out his side of the bargain.
My mun and dad took me to races when I was a toddler as my mum had a nephew who used to race,he was really good too but the drink got the better of him,but he did win a lot of races, he had to race under an alias as he couldn't get permission from his parents.

samas

January 01, 2013 1:14 AM

@Tetley.Cont.
Although my parents took me to races from an early age I guess the earliest Gp racing I can actually remember would be from 52 on I remember Hollis and Hass on the NSUs.
Another of my favs was Tarquinio Provini the way he faught with Jim Redman was a joy to watch however I've always though Redman was under rated did you ever see him on the Honda 6. As you stated one must move on and I agree on all points bar one, no modern race fan will ever hear the beautiful music of a Gilera 4 MV 4 Honda 4,5 and 6 in full racing song I've seen the videos of the demo racing just not the same Oh and how could I forget the Guzzi V8
Happy new year mate we may have our differences but our love of racing is the same.

Stavros - Unregistered

January 01, 2013 1:23 AM

@ thomps000

The Honda got better once it started dealing with the chatter, but I still think the Yamaha was its equal in the second half of the season. The big difference was Jorge wasnt racing for wins cos he didn't need to. Throwing away the title lead by riding on the limit when he didn't need to and crashing would have been stupid, and Jorge ain't stupid.

Conza

January 01, 2013 3:03 AM

I think the list is mostly right, I would've said DP, JL, CS, CC, AE, SB, AD, AB, VR, NK, RP. Don't remember Randy doing anything special, but VR pulling off 2nd at Misano AND Lemans (wet), and Dovi was less than on form, while Aleix performed very well

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »