MotoGP » MotoGP Rider of the Year vote: Full Results

Your full results for the 2012 Crash.net MotoGP Rider of the Year vote.

bikenut

January 01, 2013 10:41 PM

@Codger thousands voting with multiple names kept him out? (Rossi)
Really?, rider of the year means nothing, do you really think anyone could be bothered? Like Lorenzo he was mr consistency but unlike Lorenzo he was performing way below past performances, he promised so much and delivered so little.
Pedrosa had one of his better years (about time) and performed above expectation.
Like Rossi Stoner also performed below expectation.
Rossi couldn't get comfortable with the bike and Stoner couldn't work with this years tyres but no one wants to listen to excuses.
Hence their results! Based on performance (race wins) it was the correct result.

rabcati - Unregistered

January 01, 2013 11:03 PM

If Rossi had qualified where he finished the races (5th to 7th generally speaking) then Im sure he would have been higher. However his outright pace was downright slow compared to others around him (even CRT) so its no wonder he finished 11th! Im a big Vale fan but I think I gave him a 4 or 5.

samas

January 02, 2013 1:54 AM

@Codger.
Don't feel left out mate it's off season now so not much to talk about.
As you well know back in the day there was no video no computer live tv from the circuit so one had to rely on MCN and motor cycling which I got every week and read from cover to cover and of course never miss my beloved UGP and all the other Irish road races.
I recall winning $5 one year due to following previous races and although I never was a gambler I took a punt on past performances when a real loud mouth bet anyone who'd listen that Phil Read on a bored out Yamaha would win the 350 at the UGP I said he wouldn't that Redman would he might lead for a lap or two but not win, it was a beautiful clear day and you could hear the Yam v4 and Honda4 miles away the Yam sounded ahead (based on gear changes) but by the time they got round to where we were Redman was in the lead and Reed was cruising as had happened in previous races Then the crowd yelled come on mate give the lad his money twas beautiful.
Just

samas

January 02, 2013 2:17 AM

Cont.
Just one of many treasured memories.
Phil Reed was never a team player Bill Ivy RIP was.
FIM destroyed the 125s and the 250s when they stopped the multi
cylinders they were in the wilderness for years and the lap records remained in the sixties for a long time, hardly going forward was it.
Cheers mate.Happy new year.
Roll on next year.
Oh and by the way my fav 500 sound the Gilera 4 it had a certain lilt hard to explain but in full song it was not as hard as the MV and Honda.
Do remember the year Duke brought them back with Hartle Reed and Minter on board they were all at the UGP that year Hailwood trashed them.
There is a sound out there Vintage bikes uk lasts just over a minute of Hailwood chasing down Hartle at the IOM screaming down to a corner and accelerating out of it great sound and a perfect example of why it is my fav.

Objective

January 02, 2013 4:20 AM

I can't believe Rossi beat Yonny - just kidding - not trolling. However, it is interesting to see how people think. I must use different criteria for assessing a person's performance because my rankings would be different in some respects.

Codger

January 02, 2013 8:33 AM

@ bikenut....No, I don't really think that people could be bothered. In fact I was surprised so many were bothered enough to vote at all. I concluded that people were voting more than once. Whether they were voting to keep anyone out was speculation on my part.
My thoughts on Rossi was based on the fact that he gained two second places, one wet and one dry, and you could see that he was back to his old self and trying hard. I was surprised that he wasn't voted higher, and wondered why. I think he could have tried more in other races, but fully understand why he didn't.
Agree with your other points.

ps..I don't think that Rossi and his team promised much, as you say, but we all had much higher expectations of them though.

Codger

January 02, 2013 8:50 AM

@ samas......ah memories (sigh).
I reckon, like me, you have fond memories of all eras, and as you say bike racing is more accessible as time has gone by. I think we revere the early days because things happened then that couldn't since. For instance, you mention bored out bikes competing in bigger classes (sometimes as little as 2 or 3 ccs over the limit!). Works bikes did it as well as privateers. Also can anyone imagine today the aliens turning up at a 'National' or 'International' race. I was at the hairpin at Mallory when Cooper beat Ago. John on a Triumph 3, or was it a BSA, and Ago on the mighty MV.
Happy New Year..and Season.

samas

January 02, 2013 9:31 AM

@Codger.
It looks like we auld fellas have nothing better to do than talk about old times. I know there are some who think these old men are batty but when one looks at any sport it is always evolving running faster jumping higher etc all records are getting broken all the time. We my friend were there from the beginning. Today it's all about the money in our day it about the love of the sport.
Geoff Duke got banned by FIM for sticking up the racers trying to get an extra few quid for them and most likely missed out on another WC.

Tetley

January 02, 2013 2:53 PM

@codger Sorry. codger, wasn't trying to hijack your topic, just grasping the opportunity to share memories of riders in black with numbers flapping on their backs, and racebikes with wire spoked wheels and drum brakes. It's so enjoyable reading @samas and his Irish racing tales. I had a week at the NW200 Festival this year, followed by a week touring and several visit's to Joey's Bar. The bikes are different now, and the leathers different colours, but the Irish Road Racing scene still has the flavour and the atmosphere which is long gone from todays race circuits. However, thanks to TV, we can now see whole overseas races live, so today isn't all bad. How else would we see Weston and Macau over Xmas, and Dakar live from Peru?
Happy New Year to all.