MotoGP » Lorenzo predicts 2013 MotoGP wins for Marquez

"I'm sure he [Marquez] will be at least as competitive as I was in 2008, and Dani Pedrosa in 2006" - Jorge Lorenzo.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

CRT - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 2:42 PM

@ Talent,

MM first four races in Moto 2 resulted in crashes. He then went on to pretty much dominate the field and almost took the championship, even with 4 DNF's.

Personally I expect the same start in GP, with the exception of almost taking the title. I think it will take him a bit to come to terms with the tires, and after that he will be very Pedrosa like (which is a good thing).

I don't think he will finish top two, but I very well could be wrong.

Stat Dude - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 3:08 PM

@ CRT, consider this.

Rossi has beaten the following people to become the world champion 7 times.

Biaggi, Capirossi (2001)
Biaggi, Tohru Ukawa,Capirossi (2002)
Gibbernau, Biaggi, Capirossi, Hayden and Bayliss (2003)
Gibbernau, Biaggi (2004)
Melandri, Hayden (2005) Not much competition this year because he finished 147 points ahead of his nearest competitor, especially considering Hayden went on to win the next year..
Stoner, Pedrosa and Lorenzo (2008)
Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Stoner (2009)

I agree with you 100 percent, every time Rossi has won a championship it has been against sub par or sub standard riders ha ha ha!! You said it!!

Stat Dude - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 3:13 PM

The same however can be said about Hayden, Stoner and Lorenzo. Every time they have won a championship it has been against sub par or sub standard riders...otherwise they wouldn't have won would they have??

CRT - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 3:27 PM

Biaggi, Capirossi, Ukawa, Hayden, Bayliss, Gibbers and Melandri........Do you seriously believe they are on the same level as Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Stoner?

If you do, I want whatever you're on, and quickly.

Stat Dude - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 3:40 PM

Seriously, you don't consider Biaggi, Gibernau Cappirex, Hayden and Bayliss good riders?? On the contrary, I think I should have what you're on.
I think I need to stress this one fact for you though. I am by no means a "Rossi fanboy" I am just merely pointing out that considering your earlier statement, Stoner, Lorenzo and Pedrosa are amongst the names of people whom Rossi has beaten to the championship, and that's a fact, look it up.

More interesting info...
The only riders (since 1980) to win the championship on their 2nd year (year after debut) are:

Kenny Roberts
Freddie Spencer
Eddie Lawson
Wayne Gardner
Valentino Rossi
Casey Stoner

Stat Dude - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 4:02 PM

CRT, seriously? Did you ever watch any of those races?? Those guys were fast. And the racing and competition was brutal. IMO I would put those races and battles up there with the Swantz, Rainey, Doohan era.
Without a doubt, I would quite easily put Biaggi, Cappirossi, Bayliss and Gibernau amongst the great names of the sport. They were just dominated by a more naturally talented rider which made them look not as good as what they truly were.
But to say that they were not fast?...I think you need to do some homework.

Stat Dude - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 4:23 PM

To reiterate, since I feel I may have digressed a little. Also to answer your question CRT, yes, I would put Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa on the same level as Biaggi, Cappirossi (in his prime), Gibernau (before his shoulder and troubles), Rainey, Swantz and of course, Rossi. It's just a matter of opinion and you are of course entitled to your reaction to that opinion. Will Marquez be listed amongst these greats in the future? Quite probably...which afterall is what this thread is about isn't it?

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  »