MotoGP » Ben Spies: The moment I decided to leave Yamaha

“That was the moment when I decided I wasn't going to ride for Yamaha in 2013” - Ben Spies

Pam

January 05, 2013 4:12 PM

"since when are we running olympic foot races...? how does one fight harder with undermined suspension settings...? yamaha supplies the kit, motogp's not "BYOB"

Or, things losers say. Sorry, I grew up in a racing family so I don't understand what you're saying. I don't know how to not give everything you've got. If you can't man up and fight harder, go home. That's what I was taught. You lead, you don't follow, that's what racers do. And by lead I don't just mean on the track. Yamaha lost confidence in Spies not because of suspension failures, they lost it because of his lack of effort on and off the track. He came into the season unprepared to race, had some bad luck and said screw it I'm done.

UncleSam

January 05, 2013 4:38 PM

The comments that ring loudest for me, on this matter, was the one made by Jarvis at the end of 2011 where he expressed his disappointment in Spies and that he needed to ride more like Lorenzo in 2012, and the other was Spies comment prior to Laguna, where he expressed his relief that he was finally being allowed to run his own settings for the first time in 2012. It seems to me, that Spies was being forced to run Lorenzo's set-up for half the season and it did not work. In the mean time, he lost all confidence in the bike, while wrecking frequently. He was upbeat prior to Laguna and displayed decent pace prior to the race, but was nearly killed by a swing arm with a micro fracture in it, a failure admitted by Yamaha themselves. For those of you whom believe it was damage from a previous wreck that caused the failure, you are wrong. Micro fractures occur during the casting process and are usually detected by ultrasonic testing prior to fabrication of the piece.

UncleSam

January 05, 2013 4:40 PM

cont.
CNC time is far too valuable to waste on faulty parts, but somehow this single part slipped through. The following race at Indy, the place where Spies owns Lorenzo, he suffers an engine failure while he was taking points away from the golden child. When was the last time a factory Yamaha suffered an engine failure? I can't remember a single time.

EDIT by CRASH.NET! Allegations removed.

Stat Dude - Unregistered

January 05, 2013 5:06 PM

I hope Spies does do well on the Ducati. I enjoyed watching him in WSBK and I really had high hopes for him in MotoGP...but alas it all came to naught thus far, save for that one awesome win in Assen. Good luck to him though. There is no question that he has the talent to run with the guys at the front.

fan of racing - Unregistered

January 05, 2013 6:40 PM

@ Professor x
" stop pretending where a rider finishes a race in professional racing has anything to do with their effort, because it seldom does,"

omg! you really believe that rider effort has nothing to do with where he finishes lol... dude do you read what you write? A riders effort has everything to do with where he finishes, fact! Any less effort and you lose, fact! the more effort you put in the better you will do, fact! just ask anybody who has battled for postion in any race.... never' does it not. eferot has everything to do with where you finish!

@Px better to be thought a fool then to open you mouth and prove it lol... wow!

Pam

January 05, 2013 6:48 PM

And who is responsible for set up Professor? The rider and the feedback he gives is the most important thing in getting set-up right. And don't tell me the crew weren't listening to what Spies told them. If Spies was unable to get them to do what he asked for in set-up, then he, Spies, failed. Go home. Your talent combined with your force of will determines where you go in racing. Seriously, since when did mediocrity become the acceptable in motogp? Pathetic.

Steve - Unregistered

January 05, 2013 7:55 PM

When Ben went to Factory Yamaha he had a big pair of boots to fill he failed to do the job he scored 176 points in his first year at Tech3 and the same number in his second year at Factory Yamaha and I wont mention 2012.

Ben never fought with Lorenzo like lorenzo and Rossi fought with each other this is why he failed.

Sad but true

Ron - Unregistered

January 05, 2013 10:26 PM

@UncleSam recent Yamaha engine failures
Jorge - Assen 2012 (ok that ones cheating)
Jorge - Saschenring 2010, engine gave up spewing oil over the track during a practice session.

« 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  »