MotoGP » Ben Spies: The moment I decided to leave Yamaha

“That was the moment when I decided I wasn't going to ride for Yamaha in 2013” - Ben Spies

Yes Yes Yes Leave Me Alone

January 03, 2013 11:21 AM

Yamaha must have given JL favourable parts in 2012 - it makes sense to keep the guy in the championship hunt happy and consistent, however the staggering number of failures and so called 'bad luck' cannot be coincidence
Either a very poor/unsafe crew or some nasty work going on somewhere. To convince yourself nothing strange was going on is to completely ignore the FACTS.

J - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 11:31 AM

@ WTF and Unregistered

Actually if you read all the stories after he said he would not ride for Yamaha in 2013, Lin Jarvis said he was surprised, as their original plans were to retain Spies for 2013!!! All this happen around the time Dovi thought that he would be getting the factory ride and Rossi was not yet decided on leaving Ducati (because Ducati were going to try and get Furusawa to fix the Duc). Yamaha said they would keep Spies for 2013 but his decision to resign changed their plans!! As much as I am happy Rossi is back at Yam... I am also sad to see Spies go because I believe that he would have a lot to prove in 2013. He still does but I hope the Duc will be the right choice...little surprised that he did not take the Honda offer but I think that was a dead end with Marquez and Pedrosa living in the factory team.......

Unregistered - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 12:08 PM

@ J,

"their original plans were to retain Spies", They may have been, originally, but no contract had been signed yet and plans can change specially after Spies disaster of a season in 2012. They could have easily replaced him with Dovi or even Crutchlow.

One thing's for sure, if Rossi is back at Yamaha it's thanks to Spies announcing his retirement so early in the year, otherwise he would have had no choice but to renew with Ducati.

benignlyindifferent

January 03, 2013 12:13 PM

I like Spies, I really do...
But I can't help but wonder how many other race teams, bike and car alike, wish they could accomplish what Yamaha did, which is to make a harsh, perhaps negative comment about an under performing driver only to have the driver subsequently leave on their own accord? Really, Spies did them a favour and let them of the hook.
Hope it works for him but I suspect his place is in WSB.

Megalol - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 12:14 PM

@Unregistered

"Stoner has 2 titles, one with a crap bike"

2007 ducati was the best bike on the grid at that time. Just sayin'. Other than that you are right about Spies.

samas

January 03, 2013 12:17 PM

Not a big Spies fan, however I do believe he got the $h*t end of the stick last year toooooooo much bad luck.
I want to see Ducati do well this year and if they are all works supported they have the right spread of riders Nicky and Dovi developing and Crazy Joe and Ben ringing it's neck, well I live in hope now that my fav racer has departed and my next two fav racers are on Ducatis, so this year I'm cheering on the bike and I don't really care who's on it.

J - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 12:21 PM

You are correct that plans do change but Yamaha said they were not actively pursuing anyone and were intending to resign Spies (cue...upset Dovi). The real point is that even after a disastorous 2012, I believe that Yamaha (like many others, manufacturers and fans alike)still had faith in Spies' ability to do well. Some on here may argue but his 2 prior years were in an upward trajectory (although I thought/wished he should have done a little more in his second year). With that said a 2011 Valencia win would have added to his stock (Go Casey).
The dude is still good and I, for one, hope he does well on the Ducati....

Sweeble

January 03, 2013 12:38 PM

I really don't know why Ben is trying to stay in MotoGP, there is no racing, the pits are snobby, the grid is empty, only 2 riders have any chance of winning and the politics are horrendous. I'm sure he's made enough to retire so should have gone back to WSBK where there is a bit of passing and a rider can make the difference. I want him to do well, but on a Ducati? Dream on.

hatta - Unregistered

January 03, 2013 12:46 PM

Well, everybody may like him or not, I think he deserves a good ride, at least he's better than any rider who got a bike because of his sponsor or his nationality.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »