MotoGP » Casey Stoner and his MotoGP team-mates

Who beat Casey Stoner, and when, as a MotoGP team-mate

herewego - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 3:53 PM

Hemmy, racing at club level is a great achievment and I wouldn't dream of laughing at you. One of my mates races and I love going to the tracks, but only as a spectator so respect where it is due!
As for Casey's 2 title wins, I'm saying that if Casey is classed as such an exceptional rider then he should have won more titles in his 6 years in MotoGP than he did. Valentino has won 7 so far, so to me this puts him much higher than Casey.

Hemmy - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 4:10 PM

@ Codger

quote.....'So in Casey's non-Title winning years we now have :-

Lorenzo ... 20 wins
Stoner ... 18 wins
Rossi ... 17 wins
Dani ... 15 wins

Casey totally dominated in 2007 and 2011 but I was surprised to see how close it has been in the other years.
Respect to Stoner in that he is still 2nd even though the Ducati went down hill.'

Come on Codger, this is a load of nonsense. You went on about people cherry picking the stats and adjusting them to prive a point thats not there and you have done just that.

In the stats above you have discounted Stoners 2 best years (his title winning seasons) without discounting the others 2 titles winnign years. At least try and compare them failry and on a level playing field. This is the whole problem.

If you discount JL's and VR's 2 titles winning years, you will get:

CS 18
JL 8
VR 6

And even this is not fair to JL because he had 1 season less, so discount each riders 2 titles winning years and also their next best one to make it 3 seaso

Hemmy - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 4:10 PM

@ herewego, yes VR does have 7 titles, but he didnt beat CS to acheive that. CS DID beat VR to achevie what he has, which was more than anyone else in that same time. That is the whole point. Again, you cant compare two riders head to head by using data from before one riders time when he was not there. VR did indeed dominate, but when did that stop? When the likes of CS (and JL) arrived. Since then, CS has got the better of VR overall, whilst riding lesser machinary.

So are you saying that VR has done better than CS in that time? I can see you say you put VR higher then CS because he has more titles, which of course he is higher up in the total title table, but the fact remains that he has not beaten CS overall. CS HAS beaten VR overall.

So basically CS has beaten the guy who you place higher than him? Sorry but it defies all logic to even think that. If you regard VR so highly,
all it shows is how good Stoner really is to have beaten him head to head.

Hemmy - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 4:18 PM

@ busa boy, hands up, im guilty as charged for rising to their bait.

I just try my best in the hope that the penny will finally drop sooner rather than later.

The same will happen with Lorenzo/Rossi though im sure.

As well as Stoner, Lorenzo has also beaten Rossi head to head, but this wont stop them hurling abuse at Lorenzo and his fans this season. And even if, or when. Lorenzo continues to get the better of him this season, the abuse will only get worse as the bitter taste in their mouths becomes more potent.

Rossi needs to win 7 more races than Lorenzo, or win the title, to surpass him head to head.

Stavros - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 8:33 PM

"After my response to Stavros I was interested to add in 2012 results. So in Casey's non-Title winning years we now have :-

Lorenzo ... 20 wins
Stoner ... 18 wins
Rossi ... 17 wins
Dani ... 15 wins

Respect to Stoner in that he is still 2nd even though the Ducati went down hill."

Yes, and when you consider that in those years Casey missed a lot of races and rode either sick or injured in many more, the fact he still had the second highest win tally is pretty impressive.

Codger

January 10, 2013 10:16 PM

@ Hemmy.... Nonsense maybe. I was responding to Stavros when he disputed that Stoner's stats are loaded by his 2 good years. I covered all the seasons to be fair to Casey, and I think I proved my case. I believe I gave credit to Stoner in my posts, even in his less successful years he achieved a hell of a lot as the lists showed. It is a shame that it seems not enough for most of his fans.

As regards to leaving out his Title winning years, that was the point, I was showing how they put bias in his stats. But I balanced it in the final list which you may have now read.

Myke

January 11, 2013 12:41 AM

So what, the guy is still the most boring rider in the world, the only vaguely interesting thing about the guy is his surname, and that is a case for false advertising.... Give me Rossi any day, even George isn't that good at celebrating a win, pure passion is what it's-all about, time to take my '76 Laverda for a strop....Feel free to do the same on your nonItalian steed or if you are lucky then on your Stallion, passion has to be the only reason to be alive... Italians have it in bucket loads...

herewego - Unregistered

January 11, 2013 8:34 AM

Hemmy, Valentino won the title in 2008 so took it away from Casey who won the previous year. Valentino is still the only one who has been able to win consequetively, Casey and Jorge never have. Looks like we all have different opinions as to what makes a rider great, but overall it does come down to world titles, much the same in all sports - in my opinion!Let's just agree to disagree!!

« 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  »