MotoGP » Agostini doubts tenth title for Valentino Rossi

"Age does matter - otherwise I would still be racing!" - Giacomo Agostini.

Marc - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 3:56 PM

Slow Joe and Signups I'm with you on the Ago and Hailwood comparisons. While all this was before my time I have watched videos of TT history and there was one year I believe '67 where Ago was actually beating Hailwood by a decent margin but lost a chain in the last lap. The following year Hailwood retired so he didn't get a chance then to try to beat him. But that said, Hailwood coming back to the Mountain years later and winning was awesome. Only one better at the TT I believe was Joey Dunlop.

Scotlandrising - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 5:48 PM

Agostini would not have won half what he did if he had competition on similary capable bikes all those years. He was racing guys on single cylinder bikes for christ sake. Yes he was a great rider. But all things given, If they could race in their prime together Rossi would kick his **** all over the bleedin track.

bri t

January 10, 2013 7:27 PM

Guess we should check the original interview because the word 'next' in this line is pivotal...

'but I think it will be difficult for him to win the next championship'

Did he mean next as in 2013 or next as in another World Championship whenever because I'd tend to agree on the former and disagree on the latter.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 10:19 PM

I'm not foolish enough to state categorically what WILL happen (as some have stating Rossi WILL win the WC).

But I will venture an opinion. I think Lorenzo had the upper hand when he was Rossi's No2. I think JL's improved since then as well.

Consequently (and assuming the kit remains truly equal and Lorenzo stays healthy, isn't torpedoed with regularity by a wayward Marquez or similar etc.) then I don't think that Rossi will beat JL over a season.

I also think it likely that Pedrosa has the measure of Rossi as well, making another MotoGP WC even less likely IMO.

Of course I also have to consider that I could be wrong. We shall see.

Nate Doggius - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 11:11 PM

A little opinion piece.
I'm sure Rossi will win races these next 2 years. I'm not his biggest fan but he's still one of the most talented boys to ever throw a leg over a bike.
Ago won a bucket load of races and titles, some years he won 3 wc titles in a year, on 500, 350 and 125 racing all 3 on a weekend. Allows you to win a lot in short order but still take some skill.
AND, this part will get mud slinging going, Stoner might actually be the most successful motorbike racer of all times.
He had well over 1000 wins dirt tracking before his 14th birthday. I follow dirt racing a bit and never heard of anyone getting close to that and I know road racers don't get that much track time

shamarone

January 11, 2013 12:17 AM

not that it'll be this year, but it's official, rossi will now win a 10th title. ago thinks he's being clever by trying to use reverse psychology on his fellow italian. pfft, we're wise to you old man...! LOL

« 3 4 5 6 7 8  »