MotoGP » Four teams to run control ECU in MotoGP 2013

Ioda, Avintia, Forward and PBM to run new MotoGP control ECU system in 2013

Filter Comments: All | Registered

TalentFan

January 11, 2013 9:11 AM

@ Bikenut & Shamarone

"I believe the riders and their competitiveness or otherwise is secondary...."

Then they need an event for people like you where they just have something like qualifying and not bother with that pesky inconvenience of the race.

Even better, they can just use one rider as a control element to take each bike out in turn, so that you'll know which manufacturer's bike is best at the end of all the runs.

Sorry, but for most Fans of bikesport what you say is utter nonsense. It has to be, otherwise places like Crash would not be full of threads arguing about which Racer is better. The interest is in the Competition and the Riders for the vast majority IMO. The Rossi fanbase alone should tell you that.

shamarone

January 11, 2013 12:33 AM

re: "You talk of The manufacturers stranglehold on motogp as if it were a bad thing, the fact is that it has traditionally been a manufacturers stage, an opportunity to show how good they are, I believe the riders and their competitiveness or otherwise is secondary."

see bikenut... isn't a nut at all.

bikenut

January 11, 2013 12:03 AM

You talk of The manufacturers stranglehold on motogp as if it were a bad thing, the fact is that it has traditionally been a manufacturers stage, an opportunity to show how good they are, I believe the riders and their competitiveness or otherwise is secondary....

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 12:35 PM

@ RSMick. Am I or am I not highlighting that MotoGP has no depth of competition? Also am I highlighting some of the reasons / problems why that situation exists?

If you believe that I am incorrect, then I'd love to see your take on what the fundamental issues are, and your thoughts on how they will be (or are being) addressed.

Telling me to basically go away if I don't like it is hardly a constructive reposte. You say I don't have any answers, yet all you appear to be doing is defending what is, without putting forward anything yourself (beyond trying to discredit my POV). I'm not trying to be rude or stir - just saying.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 11:56 AM

I applaud Dorna for introducing CRT. It was great that a step was taken to try and remove the Mfr's stranglehold on MotoGP's direction. It seesm though that they ahve allowed Honda to counter-measure which will see that CRT's are effectively dead after this season.
As I have said, I think that if CRT's formed the whole grid, that this would have in effect created a grid-full of Independent Teams and engineering, which with the star riders on could have been a great base for racing.
You say Dorna's measures are a hard line, and that they will be effective in turning MotoGP around. I really hope that this is the case. I'm not as sure as you seem to be that it is. I guess time will tell.

RSMick

January 10, 2013 11:43 AM

Then vote with your feet or channel button.
Kick the manufacturers out and you will still have the same result as they feed the private chassis builder.
Dorna have taken the hard line by introducing CRT and telling them there will be a spec ECU, which resulted in Honda saying they were taking their ball to WSB, which backfired. They added 2kg to the weight at the begining of last season that upset Honda. You need to read a bit deeper, most of the reporting in the paddock think that the 14 rules are a big step in the right direction, as is telling Suzuki either do it properley or not at all.
Apart from saying no manufacturer involvement, bespoke chassis and production engines, tell us what else they can do, because you are almost describing F1 from 1988.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 11:31 AM

"Its my field as is logic software". Then you know a lot more about the actual Tech Mick, but it also has to be said that with your direct involvement in the field it is natural for you to have a bias toward high-tech software?

"but you want them to ban manufacturers from the fight". I want manufacturers to be prevented from influencing rules and policies to the detriment of MotoGP.

In other words, I want there to BE a fight, a genuine competition, not the pretence of one such as it is now.

Just because MotoGP has been broken for years, does that mean that this situation has to be perpetuated? If the fundamental problem is that the Mfrs veto changes that save/improve the sport, then unless and until that fundamental is addressed, then everything else is just a sticking plaster on a cancerous growth IMO.
Dorma needs to take a hard line, and make some tough decisons IMO. Instead they fudge and pussy-foot around on the periphery with a box of plasters.

RSMick

January 10, 2013 11:06 AM

I didnt say KERS, that technology has been around a long time, London Underground for one. Its my field as is logic software.
The rules are changing in Motogp as the control ECU in a direction that you want, but you want them to ban manufacturers from the fight, motorcyles are not cars and a tiny spec of the business. Saying that Honda motorcycles have the 2nd biggest selling motor vehicle of all time, is it any wonder theh have so much power? Honda are just the Ferrari of GP.

All I can say is Motogp has not suddenly become like this, its always been this way and survived, its adapting with the times trying to keep everyone happy, but its hard. There is not a CEO or governing body in this world who makes a decision and everyone is happy.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »