MotoGP » Four teams to run control ECU in MotoGP 2013

Ioda, Avintia, Forward and PBM to run new MotoGP control ECU system in 2013

TalentFan

January 09, 2013 9:38 PM

@ RSMick. Taken verbatim from the article:

"Cecchinelli claimed that the ECU, which is to become compulsory from 2014 - with the notable concession that official manufacturer entries will continue to use their own software - costs 50-100,000 Euros and is "already better than what Ducati and Yamaha have.""

RSMick

January 09, 2013 9:55 PM

If its close racing you want I doubt GP will ever be for you, the stock ECU means that the CRT teams have a little less headache and a cheaper system. When watching Hernandez from trackside last year it was clear what his problem was, he was giving that bike everything but it was not repsonding has he wanted, the Motec ECU software, Edwards said the same thing about the Suter with its Bosch. Hernadez mid corner looked like the bike was cutting in and out of power, Edwards said he had no idea when in a corner if the power would come on even with the throttle shut.
The top guys are exceptional and very rarely make a mistake, when they do its near impossible to get back if the one in front doesn't falter. Rossi once said you can ride WSB bike 100% 80% of the time, you can ride a GP bike 100% 20% of the time.

RSMick

January 09, 2013 10:06 PM

Your better to read what he actually said on Motogp.com

Your quote "Already better then Yamaha & Ducati have. Quoted by MotoGP's Director of Technology. That hardly suggests a limited I/O Ecu now does it? "

As I said it does not state hardware, what ever I/O it does, have they will all have the same and probably less than what Honda have now, so as I said possibly no fancy gyroscopes for Honda, they can still use it but sacrifice at least 2 analogue channels in doing so. How they use the available I/O though weather digital or analogue is up to the manufacturer, but what they wont have is any more than anyone else. What they can do is write some better software than Magnetti but they will be losing 4 litres of fuel in doing so, what the Magnetti software users will benefit from is feedback from more users, whilst the hardware won't change all year in 14 there is nothing to stop the software for all users getting an update every race.

Fuel - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 10:22 PM

Who here actually has a bike? Now of any of you who do have a bike, is fuel economy of any concern to you? I have a bike, it's my toy, never is fuel economy something I care about on my road bike or dirt bike. Repsol sell fuel, why the hell would they want people to conserve fuel and buy less of their product?

RSMick

January 09, 2013 10:37 PM

Because we are human, if we think we are getting more, we buy more. All companies have to be seen to be greener now and that is worth a lot of money, would you ride your bike if it had to be filled up every 20 miles?
Whether I go in my car or bike I am still conscious of how much it costs, if the company selling the petrol is doing something to help me get better value I am more likely to buy that fuel.

TalentFan

January 09, 2013 10:51 PM

@ RSMick "If its close racing you want I doubt GP will ever be for you"

The direction MotoGP has been taken, & the way it seems destined to keep on going, then I'm afraid that I've come to pretty much the same conclusion.

I'll watch MotoGP no doubt, being an eternal optimist, but with no real hope or expectations. And - with the knowledge that what I'm watching is a pale imitation of what it has the potential to be IMO.

mt - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 10:53 PM

RSMick,

I think you are buying the Honda fuel economy rubbish! Honda know that have an advantage in that department over the other manufacturers so they keep pushing for it.

The best thing that could happen to motogp is get rid of the manufacturer teams

RSMick

January 09, 2013 10:59 PM

mt, I remember in 07 everybody accused Ducati of having a huge advantage in fuel consuption, in reality they and Shell just got it right.
There are 3 members of the MSMA, Honda are pushing for the fuel thing and Dorna used it as a trade off for the spec ECU. One of Yamaha or Ducati backed it, which I read it was Yamaha then its Yamaha's own fault if they get there bottom spanked.

mt - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 11:10 PM

Dorna needs to get some balls, ignore the manufacturers and do what has to be done, ie: get rid of all the electronic rubbish and bring it back to real racing!

They also need to scrap the control tyre, but not allow the use of "special" tyres. All riders can use the same tyres no special treatment or special fly ins. But thats another argument all together.

prof-x - Unregistered

January 10, 2013 12:55 AM

yup, Traction Control is ruining the spectacle because it only affords the more 'successful' riders better setups while the lessor riders will never get the same kind of attention, just like other series. And it brings way more expense than could be simply had by mandating the rider control the throttle directly.

Get rid of Traction Control, its as simple as that. That would lower the disparity between the factory and satellite riders, and people would be able to see who really has talent.

Now if there were actually competition for competitive tires ... lolz. Race to the bottom, just like F1. Thats what you get when you have CEOs and Financial types trying to milk what they can before it turns in to petrified poop.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »