MotoGP » Four teams to run control ECU in MotoGP 2013

Ioda, Avintia, Forward and PBM to run new MotoGP control ECU system in 2013

RSMick

January 10, 2013 10:32 AM

Simple, for it to carry on the way its always been since the likes of Norton built their first one off's.
For the race to be a true race where the best engineers and the best rider on that day win the race, and those who are behind strive to beat them within a set of rules. Where a small team of dedicated staff can find something that may help them elevate to a higher position, as any company does.
I want to see riders master bikes and tyres that I could only dream of doing. I have rode production club racing and my son has raced against the likes of Scott Redding and Danny Kent in minibike and minimoto, and you can see what riders at that age stand out. If I want a handicap system I'll watch horse racing.

You mention F1 again, Lotus is a manufacturer and Cosworth has been owned by a manufacturer for years. These have always battled against the might of the manufacturer, enter CRT. If you really passionate about your racing go and watch some club races.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 10:37 AM

"People saying how succesful and good F1 is, at the moment its all about when you use your liquorice tyre or DRS. What use are they for a road vehicle?"

Next to none (though the battery and power reclamation tech developed for KERS would be for the new generation of milk floats er hybrids & elec cars which are being flogged as the eco-friendly alternative.

But the primary point is that F1 was trying to genuinely change the rules with a primary view to improving the Racing and the entertainment value for the fans.
That's the key difference here - the genuine attempt to use rules and tech to improve the racing is in F1, but sorely missing from MotoGP.

It can't BE any clearer IMO.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 10:48 AM

"go and watch club racing"

I do (and will) watch grass-roots racing Mick.

That doesn't mean I'm not interested in and passionate about high-level international racing. Otherwise why would I bother with this?

MotoGP is seen as poor, and not just by me (e.g. Crash's own poll rated it 5.6 /10? for one). So, it makes sense to instigate ways to address that.

It also makes sense to point it out if proposed changes aren't actually in the best interests of the SPORT, in fact the opposite.

All I have done is present a reasoned argument as to why the adoption of this ECU and the retention of TC and all the other expensive custom strategies and software solutions does nothing to help the sport we care about. I'm open to opposing views - but I've yet to see anything that has any weight that might cause me to change my mind.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 10:59 AM

"If I want a handicap system I'll watch horse racing."

Then MotoGP is horse-racing (except the handicap is placed on the wrong entrants so its opening up the field rather than closing it).

Is a Gresini rider handicapped compared to a HRC/Repsol rider? YES.

Is ANY Satellite team handicapped compared to a Factory team? YES.

Is any CRT team handicapped compared to a Prototype? YES.

So, is MotoGP a competitive racing series? NO.

Is the spec ECU alone going to do anything significant to improve the situation? NO. (IMO).

RSMick

January 10, 2013 11:06 AM

I didnt say KERS, that technology has been around a long time, London Underground for one. Its my field as is logic software.
The rules are changing in Motogp as the control ECU in a direction that you want, but you want them to ban manufacturers from the fight, motorcyles are not cars and a tiny spec of the business. Saying that Honda motorcycles have the 2nd biggest selling motor vehicle of all time, is it any wonder theh have so much power? Honda are just the Ferrari of GP.

All I can say is Motogp has not suddenly become like this, its always been this way and survived, its adapting with the times trying to keep everyone happy, but its hard. There is not a CEO or governing body in this world who makes a decision and everyone is happy.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 11:31 AM

"Its my field as is logic software". Then you know a lot more about the actual Tech Mick, but it also has to be said that with your direct involvement in the field it is natural for you to have a bias toward high-tech software?

"but you want them to ban manufacturers from the fight". I want manufacturers to be prevented from influencing rules and policies to the detriment of MotoGP.

In other words, I want there to BE a fight, a genuine competition, not the pretence of one such as it is now.

Just because MotoGP has been broken for years, does that mean that this situation has to be perpetuated? If the fundamental problem is that the Mfrs veto changes that save/improve the sport, then unless and until that fundamental is addressed, then everything else is just a sticking plaster on a cancerous growth IMO.
Dorma needs to take a hard line, and make some tough decisons IMO. Instead they fudge and pussy-foot around on the periphery with a box of plasters.

RSMick

January 10, 2013 11:43 AM

Then vote with your feet or channel button.
Kick the manufacturers out and you will still have the same result as they feed the private chassis builder.
Dorna have taken the hard line by introducing CRT and telling them there will be a spec ECU, which resulted in Honda saying they were taking their ball to WSB, which backfired. They added 2kg to the weight at the begining of last season that upset Honda. You need to read a bit deeper, most of the reporting in the paddock think that the 14 rules are a big step in the right direction, as is telling Suzuki either do it properley or not at all.
Apart from saying no manufacturer involvement, bespoke chassis and production engines, tell us what else they can do, because you are almost describing F1 from 1988.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 11:56 AM

I applaud Dorna for introducing CRT. It was great that a step was taken to try and remove the Mfr's stranglehold on MotoGP's direction. It seesm though that they ahve allowed Honda to counter-measure which will see that CRT's are effectively dead after this season.
As I have said, I think that if CRT's formed the whole grid, that this would have in effect created a grid-full of Independent Teams and engineering, which with the star riders on could have been a great base for racing.
You say Dorna's measures are a hard line, and that they will be effective in turning MotoGP around. I really hope that this is the case. I'm not as sure as you seem to be that it is. I guess time will tell.

TalentFan

January 10, 2013 12:35 PM

@ RSMick. Am I or am I not highlighting that MotoGP has no depth of competition? Also am I highlighting some of the reasons / problems why that situation exists?

If you believe that I am incorrect, then I'd love to see your take on what the fundamental issues are, and your thoughts on how they will be (or are being) addressed.

Telling me to basically go away if I don't like it is hardly a constructive reposte. You say I don't have any answers, yet all you appear to be doing is defending what is, without putting forward anything yourself (beyond trying to discredit my POV). I'm not trying to be rude or stir - just saying.

bikenut

January 11, 2013 12:03 AM

You talk of The manufacturers stranglehold on motogp as if it were a bad thing, the fact is that it has traditionally been a manufacturers stage, an opportunity to show how good they are, I believe the riders and their competitiveness or otherwise is secondary....

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »