MotoGP » Ducati set to kick-start post-Rossi era

Ducati will take the wraps off its latest MotoGP contender at Wrooom 2013, with Andrea Dovizioso, Nicky Hayden, Andrea Iannone and Ben Spies all in attendance.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

vicripoll - Unregistered

January 14, 2013 2:28 PM

@ Talentfan I'm sure Rossi would have sooner been finishing on the podium and actually challenging for wins on the Yamaha instead of been nowhere on the duke for 2 years, Rossis' image is set. I'm sure the last two years will not count against him when you look at his career. LET ME SUM UP, Rossi, 9 world titles + 2 bad years on Ducati he couldn't make work. vs Stoner 2 world titles + a Ducati that only he could ride. agree for Rossi disagree for Stoner

TalentFan

January 14, 2013 2:41 PM

@ vicripol "I'm sure Rossi would have sooner been finishing on the podium and actually challenging for wins on the Yamaha instead of been nowhere on the duke for 2 years"

Then why didn't he stay at Yamaha? Rossi had a contract offer that he walked away from.
Why did Rossi say 'Its Lorenzo or me' to Yamaha? With the younger JL heading to the WC he had to know Yamaha wouldn't cast JL aside.
Rossi made a concious decision to leave Yamaha & go to Ducati, and was the architect of his own destiny.
It is reasonable to draw from all this that at least part of the reason to leave his beloved Yamaha bike for Ducati was to avoid a head-to-head on equal kit with JL.

kevin lopolisa - Unregistered

January 14, 2013 2:56 PM

there is one condition that must be fulfilled if one wants to be considered better than rossi, "WIN AT LEAST TEN CHAMPIONSHIPS" that is a mandatory..... sorry guys that's just how it goes.....

TalentFan

January 14, 2013 3:04 PM

Sorry to all btw. I've managed to let myself get drawn into a Rossi debate on what is a Ducati thread. I complain myself about the way all MotoGP threads seem to end up being hijacked over Rossi, and here I am making it worse.

On topic & FWIW, although I think its a mountain for Ducati & riders to climb with the might of Honda & Yamaha and such limited testing, I do look forward to seeing how Ducati's riders do in 2013. I think Dovi will quietly work hard and will really put in 100% - he might do well. Ben is a real unknown - guess he'll either fly or be nowhere? Iannone? Should be fun to watch!

TalentFan

January 14, 2013 3:23 PM

@ kevin lopolisa. Its not ALL about the titles for anyone. You have to factor in the level and depth of competition.
Example (forget the stars of MotoGP for now).

You and I have drag race. I have a Yamaha R1, and you have a 50cc moped to ride. We have 10 races and I win 10-Nil.
Now - am I the 'best' (and a much better rider than you) because I beat you 10-Nil or not? We have no way of knowing for sure do we, as you didn't really have a hope of winning, right? See why wins/titles aren't necessarily the full story?

Dean - Unregistered

January 14, 2013 3:36 PM

TalentFan

January 14, 2013 4:11 PM

@ Dean "All the people saying that if Ducati do better without Rossi it will be nothing to do with him need will show their hypocrisy when Ducati end up with no podiums next season, leaving the blame at the feet of Rossi and Burgess."

However Ducati do next season AFAIAC it'll be down to Ducati and their current riders - good or bad. I happen to think that it will be next to impossible for ANY TEAM (in the dry at least) other than a factory Yam or Honda rider to podium due to their huge technical & data library advantages over everyone else.
With such limited testing now, Ducati would have to luck into a chassis / set-up solution so they made a big step forward to be able to compete with the bikes of JL, DP, MM & VR (or maybe get Stoner out of retirement and back on it?).

SAM - Unregistered

January 14, 2013 5:13 PM

Dovi Nicky Ben and Iannone will be racing between 15 and 45 seconds behind the winners and the most interesting part of these 4 is who will be on TOP.

But than again who really cares.

Marc - Unregistered

January 14, 2013 5:32 PM

Preziosi (sp?) should have been fired after the first season when Rossi was on the team. While compared to the Yamaha's and Honda's the Ducati didn't seem to improve over the last two years but if you look at their track times they have just not as much as the two other factories. That said, I hope that Ducati improves their results and become more of a factor as the season progresses. More competition near the front will only help make the series more interesting. Not sure it will happen but one can hope.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »