MotoGP » Ben Spies 'excited' to join Ducati family

“I am excited to be a part of the Ducati family. This is something I've wanted from the beginning of my racing career” – Ben Spies.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Grandissimus - Unregistered

January 17, 2013 7:45 PM

My tinfoil hat wearing other half tells me that at least part of why Ben was given the crap treatment at Yamaha was because he didn't bring a lot of sponsor money to the party aside from the drive by Yamaha US. Yamaha had been bearing the entire financial burden of running the team for the years after Rossi and all his backing left the team. (Likely the same pill Ducati is now swallowing) Perhaps Yamaha decided that it was in their best interest financially to bring the Golden Calf back to their team just to balance the books. Whatever the reason, I highly doubt you will see any of those same shenanigans Ben faced with Rossi there. If Rossi's Engine blows up while running in second place at say Mugello this season his fans alone would have Jarvis' head on a pike!

Good fortune to you in your new venture Ben!

Don-R

January 17, 2013 9:00 PM

Ducati now have 4 riders giving development feedback, each of them with an equal chance of sucess. If Spies can outperform the other Ducati riders, there's a real chance of him moving back to full factory status, and on a bike that could quite feasibly be developed to suit him. Which is why I'm guessing that the rivalry between those 4 guys is going to be pretty fierce.

Zoiezoiekitty - Unregistered

January 17, 2013 11:18 PM

In the lyrical words of Steve Miller, "Whoa, take the money and run".

Don't get me wrong, as my most favorite recent season of motorcycle racing was Ben winning WSBK, I would love to see him do well. But I think is heart is no longer in it. He meant what he said last season when he initially announced his intentions similar to Stoner's.

TalentFan

January 17, 2013 11:38 PM

Marc wrote "based on the article Duc isn't moving away from the chassis or engine changes that were guided by Rossi, so I'm not wrong or hypocritical mentioning it plus Rossi is still in the series and your boy isn't."

1. The chassis Ducati are using is as they've stated to try and have continuity and a more measured development programme rather than the scattergun of changes under Rossi / Burgess. Nothing to do with Rossi really.
2. I don't have a 'boy'. Please don't tar me with the same brush as your own single-minded Rossi fetish. I have the capacity to be impartial, objective & fair in my outlook.
I suggest you worry more about how Rossi is going to run on that Yamaha rather than trying to claim any kudos for his disappointing tenure at Ducati.

Brian - Unregistered

January 18, 2013 1:54 AM

@Talentfan

I thought Rossi did a solid job on the Ducati. All 4 Ducati podiums in the last 2 years should have been his if not for a brainfade at Jerez. Looking at the money spent and Stoner's achievements his time at Ducati was a failure but if any Ducati rider next season comes close to what Rossi did this season (2 podiums, 6th in the championship) I'd be surprised.

shamarone

January 18, 2013 8:42 PM

re: "With Ben, we'll endeavour to speed up the development process on the bike to achieve our objectives as soon as possible."

yeah, the "objective" being to see which american and which italian is going to be fired. there are 2 yanks and 2 ginnys, but we all know audi only needs 1 of each for the factory team.

shakeout, standard corporate hiring procedure. the real money being spent to develop the kit will come later... after we've weeded out who we want to keep.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7