MotoGP » Weather spoils Ducati's first MotoGP test of 2013

"We squeezed three days of work into about five hours, which obviously required skipping some of the steps we had planned" - Bernhard Gobmeier, Ducati.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Makrus

January 23, 2013 12:07 PM

@fact
By your logic they should all be on the same bike.
Fact is in 2006 Michelin were the dominant brand with the bridgestones qualifying well but not really lasting the whole race. 2007 we saw a turn around the Michelin riders could and did pull victories much like the bridgestones still did in 06 but in these years even with these advantages we saw a wider range of race winners. Hell in 06 satellite bikes could get the job done. I know it wasn't soley down to different tyre brands but it still did add something extra. IMO they shouldn't have caved when dani and vale were complaining.

Codger

January 23, 2013 12:10 PM

@ Realist...I don't mind being corrected, I might look a pr4t, but at least I learn from it.

@ Roman & fact....I could have worded it better. I'm aware of 2003 & 2004. What I was getting at was that Troy did not ride a GP bike for 22 races. In fact he was in WSBK in 2006, he was drafted in for the last race and, as you know, he won it. I made the mistake that the win was on a 990cc bike and the discussion was about the 800cc and after. My apologies.

PS are you the same person under 2 different names?

Codger

January 23, 2013 12:18 PM

@ Realist again...I raised the issue of losing confidence, I would go so far to say that all 4 riders will suffer it. We are told that the bike hasn't changed and last year it bit Nicky and the only reason that Rossi only suffered 1 getoff was because he was only riding at 90% except, I suppose, in his two 2nd place finishes.

Slowey4646 - Unregistered

January 24, 2013 5:09 PM

Same old - same old. The 2013 bike has just had a "paint job" so begs the question why bother testing at all as they know how the bike will go. Was Rossi right to leave. You bet he was

CRT - Unregistered

January 24, 2013 9:44 PM

@ Markus,

I agree. The big difference in the tires was the rule changes, stating that they could only use the tires that were brought to the track on Thursday (there was also a quantity, but I cannot remember what it was). No more overnights.

Because the BS plant was in Japan, they could not produce the tires in time to make it to the European rounds like Mich could.

The playing field of the tire war was leveled, and some people couldn't handle it. I don't remember hearing complaints from BS riders about the advantage Mich held, but since Carmelo's meal ticket was complaining....well....we all know what happened next.

CRT - Unregistered

January 24, 2013 9:48 PM

The reason BS had a small advantage in 2007 was because they had the experience in building a tire that could be used over a variety of temp ranges (because of the previously stated location and inability to get over night tires). It appeared that Mich relied on the overnight tires to suit the riders.

Mich won Moto GP for 13 straight years. Given time, they could have turned things around, but they were never given the chance.

« 1 2 3 4