MotoGP » Rossi sets sights on 80th MotoGP win

“A victory would be the 'watershed' moment” – Valentino Rossi.

RickyP - Unregistered

January 29, 2013 7:18 PM

Billace, Yamaha didn't poach the HRC guys again, what actually happened was HRC poached some of the electronic TC guys off Lorenzo's team, and it showed in their 2011 bike.

Dacron, I think the point was they used to make a rideable engine, whereas nowadays they make an engine that couldn't be controlled without electronics. Stoner might turn the electronics down, but he still used them like everyone else because you can't ride a modern MotoGp bike without them.
And they've all been using them the same amount of time, if I was a top level competitor and someone offered something to cut a second a lap off the my time I wouldn't turn it down, and neither would you. When the technology moves you have to go with it or be left behind. The only way you can get rid of it is if you get rid of it for everyone

Marc - Unregistered

January 29, 2013 7:29 PM

Rossi is only being realistic in that he will try to win as everyone does but knows his competition in JLo and Pedro will be tough along with MM on the factory Honda. While as fans we hope him the best and hope he does more than podium finishes and occasional win. This doesn't make us crazy fans as the haters profess.

Marc - Unregistered

January 29, 2013 7:48 PM

Hey TFan if you haven't realized this yet that the GP(MotoGP) no longer uses IOM as one of it's races hence it would be impossible for him to get wins there. Maybe that was your point. They stopped it as race in the GP series in mid 70's I think.

prof-x - Unregistered

January 29, 2013 7:50 PM

just know that the bike that was introduced in 2012 is not the same bike Yamaha had for 2010/2011. The bike is made for high corner speeds and less braking, its not as stable and it seems to rely on traction control a bit more.

Dont be surprised if Rossi has problems riding this bike as his style is more suited to out braking people. Ben Spies had a horrible time trying to work that bike, Dovi made the best of it, but it was not suited to him either, it was more suited to Cal and Jorge who prefer to take a wider/faster line through the corners.

The only thing keeping Honda from destroying Yamaha is Bridgestone, should be interesting to see if chatter still afflicts the RCV.

dacron

January 29, 2013 7:51 PM

@RickyP.
electronics do more than one thing , you can't turn it off because of maping , engine braking ect , but traction control , the main hindrance taking the freedom of control out of your hands CAN be turned down.
it will make the bike wilder and aggressive but still give the rider far more control in his hand.
my point is if vale hated electronics stealing his freedom then he could easily grab some back by turning the tc right down.
and vale has indeed ben using electronics longer than the rest , electronics came out near the end of the 500cc era and advanced from there.
the rest were on 125cc with no electronics .

RickyP - Unregistered

January 29, 2013 8:57 PM

He turns it down but still uses it, I wish they'd get rid of it all together and then we'd see some proper racing. Rossi came up through 125/250 as well, OK technically he's been using it longer because he's been in the series longer but thats hardly a fair assessment.. Its like saying Marquez is better than Lorenzo because Lorenzo has been using the TC since 2008.

I don't want this to turn into a mine vs yours argument, I stick up for Rossi a lot in debates because I feel people have gone from respecting what he's done to now discrediting all his achievments because of a lousy two year stretch. If he'd retired at the end of 2009 or even 2010 than people would only be saying Stoner won because Rossi wasn't there... Now Stoner has retired early if Rossi wins its because Stoner is not there!
I think they're both amazingly talented, but their talents run in different areas, Rossi being a front end man and Stoner renowned for steering with the rear. And I personally feel that lets him ri

RickyP - Unregistered

January 29, 2013 8:57 PM

ride around stuff that others have trouble with. But when you have two well sorted bikes like the Yam and Hon this year.. he is beatable.. just like Rossi and every other rider out there.

TalentFan

January 29, 2013 9:58 PM

Best way I can express my antipathy to MotoGP as it is is this....

I'd not feel I'd missed out much if I failed to watch a MotoGP race (repeated or recorded, let alone Live) in 2013. I simply have very low expectations for MotoGP - I'd be more sorry that I'd missed the Moto2/3

Yet....

If Dorna announced tomorrow that there were to be a special one-off qualifying and race weekend where all the current MotoGP riders would be riding CRT's or Moto2 bikes, then I'd be gagging to see it and get a ticket to that event. I feel sure that TV and media interest would be massive as well (just look at the off-season events with karts or rally cars as an example of the levels of interest).

Same riders and personalities - yet massive disparity in my expectations of what would be great, and what would be mediocrity. MotoGP fails to deliver. End of.

Codger

January 29, 2013 10:39 PM

@ Slide Rules.....I don't think Rossi earned that ride either, I believe it should have gone to Dovi.
The Yamaha engineers did not say that they didn't want Rossi, they said that Yamaha didn't NEED him. With Jorge and Dovi they would be right. But money talks and that's why Dovi didn't get the ride. I suppose that Yamaha have faith in Rossi though, they gave him a 2 year contract.

« 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  »