MotoGP » Rossi: Marquez wants the title, I like his attitude

“I like Marquez's attitude a lot because in his mind, looking at him today, it looks like he wants to win the championship at the first try” - Valentino Rossi.

cassyo

February 06, 2013 8:23 AM

While I am a Stoner fan, I'm not prepared to jump in Mark's boat (if I'll ever be) ! If I were to choose between Vale and MM, I'd rather sustain the old guy. And not only because we have something in common: birthday !
On the other hand, let me make it clear :mind games were and will always be a part of the competition, regardless of beeing seen as fair or not.
The history is written by the winners and as such, the fairplay of the fight has very little chapter in the book, if any.

Grendlehop

February 06, 2013 8:28 AM

Val's eyes have been opened to the reality that the competition in the past 6 years has risen quite a bit. He still wants the WC, but will be happy, if not just slightly less content, with some nice on track battles and remaining a top 3 contender. He's done everything ther is to do, and in doing so, just wants to put in a couple of good, competitive years before retirement in SBK.

seiko - Unregistered

February 06, 2013 8:30 AM

@cassyo

Love your words. But how does one define fairplay in this sport? Is mindgames (if there's such a thing) unfair? Is blocking a rider unfair? Is letting the team choose between a rider unfair? I'll you you decide. But the bottom line is this is racing. The only unfairness in this sport is that the bikes are not the same. Other than that, riders could rant, play mind games, negotiate contracts, win races and have fastest laps, but whoever wins the championship at the end of the season is the winner.

Sweeble - Unregistered

February 06, 2013 8:31 AM

You still get the feeling that MotoGP team managers missed something by not signing Pol Espargaro, he was giving Marquez plenty to worry about in Moto2 on a bike which was arguably not as good.

cassyo

February 06, 2013 8:48 AM

@seiko (I've noticed user name allusion :) )

Well, it's not that easy to draw the borderline of the fairplay land. And whoever will try to establish an absolute border, will fail eventually. Because it's within human nature to discuss every rule.
I'd rather recognize that only few of the champions had all the aces (I mean : mind games included) in their luggage. Maybe it is not a coincidence that those very few champions are seen as the greatest ones as well. Names as Senna, Schumacher and Rossi come first in mind.
As regards Stoner, I recognize he lacked that definitely.But he did compensate with some extra speed and technique for that.

reckless - Unregistered

February 06, 2013 8:52 AM

Who just said that unlike Marco, Marc is not reckless? Did they not watch any Moto2 quali sessions from the last 2 seasons? MM can be very reckless and i hope he doesn't take out any riders in practice or qualifying. He is a fantastic talent and a future motogp world champ no doubt. However I think Rossi's words are designed to put the wind up Pedrosa who to me is a hands down favourite for the title this year

« 1 2 3 4 5  »