MotoGP » Hayden frank on Ducati performance

'We've got a lot of work to do and definitely need to improve in pretty much all areas' - Nicky Hayden

Filter Comments: All | Registered

LanceTheHooliganAlbon

February 06, 2013 6:25 PM

You deserve so much more Hayden! I don't think you'll ever get the factory Honda or Yamaha rides with all the other young talent out there and up and coming, but you definitely deserve more than a Ducati! Get onto a WSBK factory bike for 2014 and start enjoying racing again! You'll be amazing in that series and you'll have fun, and when you have fun you'll start winning again :)

Penelope Pitstop - Unregistered

February 06, 2013 6:34 PM

Although I agree with you, Don-R, it gives me no pleasure to see Ducati in this position. I would much rather see the team challenging for wins with Honda and Yamaha as I believe this sport is all about entertainment. The best way to achieve that is to have more teams competing for the wins.

Having said that it is clear that the Rossi era at Ducati has been a failure, which also saddens me. But now there is a new start, new rider, new owners, new hope and most importantly new designers. The designers are the key - perhaps Ducati should try to steal the other top teams' top designers rather than the top riders?

I suppose also that Hayden's input to the project will increase now that Rossi has gone, and Dovi also brings a great deal of experience to the cause. Perhaps things are looking up for Ducati, I hope so.

Marc - Unregistered

February 06, 2013 7:06 PM

It's always easy to blame the last guy but I believe Rossi did some good for Ducati maybe not in results but in the development program for Ducati. For one he showed them that previous design was awful and secondly he got them to change frame platform. He also helped with engine management guidance, not in an engineering perspective but in a rider to bike interface. While still far off the pace they'll improve a little but the problem is that Yam and Honda will continue to improve from where they were.

raafrebel - Unregistered

February 06, 2013 7:22 PM

I disagree with the last coment, I think Rossi did not do much at all. I really like rosi, but to me, it was more of a PR stunt than trying to win, i beleive his heart was not in it and did not ride 100% from the get go.
Many of you will proberbly disagree,
I think that if you REALLY want to win and your heart is in it, you would be in a much better position to win.
Its a bike with 2 wheels and a very good engine. all the riders are very good, but some better than others.
Remember Caparossi, Bayliss? their hearts said WIN!
They did not win EVERY race, but they were defenatly at the pointy end of the time sheets.
as far as Dovi, He is a very good rider, but not a winner, even on a factory honda.
Im not here to bag any particular rider,I love and follow ALL the riders, but this bike takes a really special dedicated rider to have sucess.

G.Irish - Unregistered

February 06, 2013 7:39 PM

@raafrebel
Rossi did what he could but ultimately the bike didn't move forward much, if at all. In effect, Ducati wasted their time and money.

I do agree that Rossi's heart wasn't in it, but that was only because he couldn't get the bike to work and chose not to take big risks to try to finish in 5th place rather than 7th or 8th place. For Rossi, overriding a bike he has little chance of winning on is simply no something he's gonna do.

Kenny Roberts Jr was the same way on his last years on the Suzuki. He knew the bike wasn't there and chose not to take big risks for a result. John Hopkins took those risks and ended up with a long list of injuries as a result.

billace - Unregistered

February 06, 2013 7:50 PM

Nicky is one of the best for Ducati in this position. The last time he had a purely developmental role he took the Evo bike to #1 in the championship. With Audi behind them and 4 bikes gathering data expect Nicky to drive development forward during the course of the season. He has a one year deal, which he wanted, to do that job and decide whether its worth sticking around or moving to a series where he should be able to get a strong bike underneath him.