MotoGP » Sepang 'reality' for Valentino Rossi

"This is the reality. The first three guys are very fast - Lorenzo and Pedrosa, but also Marquez - and it looks like we need to improve" - Valentino Rossi.

Marc - Unregistered

March 01, 2013 4:59 PM

Honda without a doubt has the best bike and the M1 is slightly off now that Jorge is the main man it's designed for but still close enough to make it interesting. Pedrosa seems to be the guy to beat so far but tests are tests and races are races. if anything let's hope that races are close and no more races are won after the first lap or two.

Tetley

March 01, 2013 5:53 PM

Truefan.. Sorry mate, it is commendable for you to support your man, but it is futile to bring CS27 into the 2013 debate. He's gone. He is not the competition for 2013. My earlier posting evaluated the current situation with the current players so please review it in that context. My points were that bike problems make acclimatisation longer. Rossi will play will he-won't he. The Yam gearbox may be the decider. 4 riders will have wins. Podiums may decide the champ.
Dani and JLo are fully familiar with their bikes and neither rider can have grown significantly faster over the winter, so improvements in their times will be mainly from bike development. On the other hand, Rossi is already only 0.07 behind JLo on a bike totally different to his steed of the past two years, so VR46 logically has the greater potential for improvement. (.) Similarly, Marc Marquez has great potential to improve on his current speed.
What CS27 did or might have done is not relevant in the current situation.

Realist

March 01, 2013 7:20 PM

@ prof-x

If it had been Rossi who started his first V8 race in 12th, regressed through the field, came back on track to hit a wall and retire, there would be no end to the vitriol that you (and others) would spew. Since it's Stoner, however, it's all well wishes and kiwis.
As for the 2012 M1 being “built around J.Lo” is nonsense. The 2012 M1 is not much different than the 2010 M1 aside from some evolutionary upgrades and some extra cc's. Furusawa mentioned this in his interview (and he KNOWS), so why the nonsense continues to be regurgitated is beyond me. For what it's worth, the 2012 M1 is nothing more than a derivative of the M1 developed around Rossi. Rossi and J.Lo have very similar 250cc styles. To claim that Rossi needs to “ride like J.Lo” is nonsense.

Realist

March 01, 2013 7:23 PM

@ joe lubin

Barely keeping check in 2010? Did you watch the first few races of 2010? Rossi was less than 10 points behind J.Lo when he crashed in “FREE PRACTICE”. I can't even take you seriously with your “results for 2010” analysis.

@ Tetley

Good point about the potential for improvement amongst the 4 front runners.

billace - Unregistered

March 01, 2013 10:07 PM

After the test I didn't see Honda dominance, I see Lorenzo dominance. Dani can throw down a few blazing laps but is not where Jorge is in terms of pace. One lap doesn't matter and that is why its also clear that Rossi and Marquez have work to do. Putting in a lap equal to your teammates last run after the track dries up on a soft tire while he is sitting in the transport is not being equal or really competitive.

Realist

March 01, 2013 11:46 PM

@ billace

It's that very idea (race pace vs flying lap) that makes Rossi a good tactician/formidable. He's generally more concerned with race pace, the tires' ability once worn, etc. That is his priority.

billace - Unregistered

March 02, 2013 2:22 AM

Realist,
Vale should be more concerned with race pace, that is where he is being left behind. I'm also not sure that the superior "racecraft" will make much difference when he is already riding over the limit just trying to keep touch. Its much easier to employ tactics when you have something left in the tank. I think Marquez will learn many more lessons as he tries to push his way to the front, a path that should have to go through Rossi.

TrueFan

March 02, 2013 4:34 AM

@Codger I wasn't referring specifically to you, rather to the legion of Rossi fans that have dumped buckets on Ducati, because it doesn't handle like a Yamaha, and popped a myth about Rossi's invincability. My post is a little more pointed than it ought to be - I should be more careful when reacting.

In an earlier described Rossi's candour as refreshing. I think his assessment is pretty accurate at the moment.

TheClownPrince46 - Unregistered

March 02, 2013 4:46 AM

This seriously isn't about what CS would've done . He's gone and moved on . Regarding rossi performance in test and technical issue he had issues in Ducati and Yamaha before too but the major thing is he us just 0.07's slower than Lorenzo who as many arr speculating has the best M1 . Ben spies had technical issues last season and he wasn't a consistent one either . He showed up in 11th and 12th places and no sign of improvement and had issues in the garage so Yamaha didn't bother to give in his demands and Rossi still with technical issues overcame and fought for top 4 .he needs to improve and he will do it and its a fresh start for him and he should rossify the M1 to get the old Rossi back . Only time will tell and I too believe he will.play the will he won't he as he said last year MotoGP is boring and needs excitement and Rossi as quoted by lorenO in 2010 is a good actor he can make.believe believe and show them what he wants us to see .... Let's see what happens in jerez ... MM and

TrueFan

March 02, 2013 4:46 AM

@Tetley, I am primarily a Ducati fan. I respect Stoner greatly, simply because he rode the Ducati brilliantly. In my opinion, he's right up there with one Michael Hailwood (RIP) as a result of that effort. I was responding to Codger, who brought Stoner into the conversation. Stoner isn't my man, but I respect his ability, and challenge his detractors from time to time. It amuses me. You'll see that I have also challenged Ben Spies detractors, JLOs, Bradley Smiths and so on. I have even defended Rossi's current situation. But, that defence might appear less than enthusiastic in the face of the deluge of fan boy comments proclaiming the ridiculous. I commented on Codger's post. As a Rossi fan, he is normally relatively circumspect, but as he is a long time race fan, I thought he would know how little input Stoner had into the Ducati Rossi inherited. For me, Rossi performed as well on the Ducati as Ago would have done on Hailwood's Honda...And Hailwood didn't "develop" that bike either,

« 9 10 11 12 13 14  »