MotoGP » Sepang 'reality' for Valentino Rossi

"This is the reality. The first three guys are very fast - Lorenzo and Pedrosa, but also Marquez - and it looks like we need to improve" - Valentino Rossi.

prof-x - Unregistered

March 02, 2013 6:38 PM

Food for thought, Ben Spies fastest time at Sepang testing last year was a little faster than Rossi's fastest time at Sepang this year, and Rossi's fastest time came when lorenzo was only about 2/10's off the same time he set in the same session Ben set his fastest time. To say that Sepang is any indication where Rossi will finish in a race (on average) is not consistent with Ben's lack of race pace last year, and his ability to finish above all the satellite bikes & Ducati bikes in 2011. Of course Rossi will have much more support than Ben could dream of in 2012, but dont expect too much, I think he can beat Marquez, because Marc looks like hes putting too much effort at the apex, hanging off the bike like he does.

@Realist, good job for Casey. Casey took 14th from 30th on the grid, hes getting better and looks almost ready for top 10 finishes consistently, he just needs to get used to the tires and battling people simultaneously, the speed and reflexes are there

Realist

March 02, 2013 6:55 PM

@ prof x

I don't doubt that Stoner is capable of top 10 finishes, I just find it interesting the way that people respond to data depending on who the subject is. When it's Rossi, people tend to disparage, but when it's Stoner it's all praise (..I'm exaggerating a bit for effect, but I know you get my point). Had it been Rossi performing exactly as Stoner did, the comments would have been entirely negative.

Tetley

March 03, 2013 5:26 PM

@True Fan. I agree with most of what you say, and like you I have posted in support of several riders stroke engineers stroke teams when the comments on here warrant it. I'm not a Ducati fan, or Yamaha or Honda either- of all the manufacturers, maybe I'm a bit of an Aprilia afficionado- I think that for a comparatively small manufacturer they produce outstanding machines. I like to think I'm a racing fan, like most on here. I have seen and admired McIntyre, Ago, Hailwood, DJ, McPint and many 3-wheel racers. Having watched VR46 since his 125 days, I have never failed to be entertained by him, and although I was never at ease with CS27's demeanour, I do appreciate that on his day he was an incredible rider. I just feel that some posters, not necessarily yourself, bring irrelevant elements into threads, and I especially loathe those posters who think that insulting others strengthens their argument. Otherwise, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Share a virtual pint with me. Cheers!

Marc - Unregistered

March 04, 2013 5:30 PM

Tetley while I agree with your comments I find True Fan's comments to be anything but that of a "True Fan" of the sport maybe a true fan of Stoner if it's the guy who I think you're referring to.

Marc - Unregistered

March 04, 2013 5:33 PM

In terms of Rossi's performance in 2nd Sepang Test it only makes sense as he's getting use to the bike and will obviously make improvements to his stye or adjust the bike to his like to become more comfortable on it. The good thing is that he's close enough to the front guys to be competitive. Once race day comes I wouldn't count him out of at least podium effort.

Realist

March 05, 2013 4:09 PM

@ PeterSuckley

Oh quit it with the age comments. 34 isn't old! He has always been older than Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo, etc., and it hasn't affected his ability to remain competitive. The age argument is ridiculous at 34. I could see if he were a 40+ year old racer battling adolescents/young 20-sometimes, but geez.....

« 10 11 12 13 14