MotoGP » Valentino Rossi: Big gains, some problems remain

"We improved the lap time a lot from yesterday. We are closer, but there remains one second to the top and there are still some problems" - Valentino Rossi.

LanceTheHooliganAlbon

March 14, 2013 2:21 PM

Whether you like Rossi or not, he brings a lot to the table. Yamaha have been without a main sponsor since he left, now they have Monster Energy sponsoring the factory team. Sales will be up on Yamaha's road bikes as well and that's world wide. Rossi will not be last, and so whatever his results are, they will be worth it for Yamaha anyway. After all the titles and race wins which he brought Yamaha, 46 race wins, he definitely "deserves" a factory Yamaha spot. It's called respect! :)

Grendlehop

March 14, 2013 2:31 PM

@daniel kuchnia,
I wasn't comparing Rossi to those other riders, but simply saying that they all are my favorite riders over the time I've been watching road racing. Mladin was unstoppable until Spies came along. Nicky was brilliant on the RC51, as EBoz was on the ZX-7 when he was 2nd in points one year to Mladin until Yates caused that massive crash @ Laguna when we could see WSBK match up to the USA. Bayliss vs. Edwards is a rivalry, and especially @ Imola, where I'd dare say it rivals Laguna '08 GP & the Welkom GP in 2004 for the best race in recent times. Losing Sic had me in tears for weeks each time I thought about never seeing him race again. Remember when Miguel crashed his CBR in the 200, remounted & charged through the field, broken fairing & all?!! All these guys rode hard & I salute all of them. BTW, I listed Rossi 1st!! Lol!

Grendlehop

March 14, 2013 2:47 PM

"I'd say we're seeing a new chapter in MotoGP, one where other riders will have to adopt an different approach or be left in the dust. If he's this fast and agressive now what the heck is he going to be like in 2 years?-FZ1

Jorge achieved 3 poles, with a win on his 3rd MotoGP race. Vale beat him that year in '08 & again in '09. Casey beat Jorge in '11. Dani will most likely place higher than Marc given historical trends. He is a rookie after all. Remember, not even Rossi claimed a title in his rookie season in any category. If Marc does this, I'll gladly bow to him. Either way, it's gonna be an awesome season!

Rossi_Greatness - Unregistered

March 14, 2013 4:29 PM

It's hard to understand why anybody would hate Rossi.
It's the definition of what a real MotoGP rider should be. Not a robot, he gets quite emotional, he likes to ride bikes when he is not at his office(!).
Most importantly, he is the reason this championship became so famous. Whether you like it or not it's the truth. I even saw comments recently of people claiming that Rossi is talentless...Seriously???
Lorenzo, Stoner that looser Pedrosa would need 3 racing carriers to achieve half of the things Rossi achieved in his carrier. And what he achieved, he achieved it in STYLE!
The only man that reminded me his flair would be Simoncelli. When Rossi wins this year Super Sic while have a huge smile up there...

Marc - Unregistered

March 14, 2013 5:30 PM

Good substory in terms of favorite recent riders, in my list of riders I've had the pleasure to have seen race and meet (at least some): Rossi, Bayliss, Biaggi, Pedrosa, Chili, Mladin, etc... But agree tha Bayliss and Edwards battle in WSB has to be one of the top races in past 10 or so years and Rossi has had some great battles with other racers i.e. Biaggi, Jlo, and the one I shall not speak of .

Marc - Unregistered

March 14, 2013 5:40 PM

While 1 second back isn't great it's much better than what he had to deal with last year and improving brakes and some wheelies is minor compared to issues he had on the duc. Granted getting closer to top times gets tougher when you get a constantly improviing target in the Hondas but I think it's manageable and come race times I'm sure Rossi will be much closer. Will it be enough to be a championship contender I don't know but he'll have his chances to fight with the leaders. Can't wait for the season to start.

Marc - Unregistered

March 14, 2013 5:46 PM

Jambop good points but it takes more than one race to size up what you might expect for other races. But you are right tests are tests and those results may not show the whole story.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »