MotoGP » Kevin Schwantz 'told to leave' Austin MotoGP test

"CotA management requested I leave the track immediately... CotA's security force also accused me of criminal trespass and warned I would be arrested the next time I entered the track" - Kevin Schwantz.

CRT - Unregistered

March 21, 2013 8:51 PM

@ Chaind

Credentails do not neccesarilly have names on them, IE Pit Crew etc.

@ RG500

"My understanding is Kevin had a gentlemans agreement to work to secure a Moto GP race at Austin."

Then shame on Mr. Schwantz for not getting his deal in writing. Moto GP is big business and it should be conducted as such.

shamarone

March 21, 2013 9:09 PM

re: "Then shame on Mr. Schwantz for not getting his deal in writing"

it is in writing. his name was "written" in more than a few press releases at this tracks conception. despite also being long retired, try doing that with micheal jordan's name and lemme know how that works out for ya...?

Average at best - Unregistered

March 21, 2013 9:46 PM

Every circus (Mr Motogp) needs more clowns and nothing beats a Texas clown being kicked out of the big tent.

Kev is NOW a businessman who has yet to win in business but all his moaning is not going to help him, he needs to find another way.

BTW, he only won 1 WC so how does that make him a LEGEND, I thought you had to win 9 to be that, well thats what is normally posted on this site lol

chaind - Unregistered

March 21, 2013 10:51 PM

Most teams use their team credentials, then they identify you by the picture and a reference to the circuit information for whos on the list and issue the passes you need to move around. I assure you, they know who is at the race track for a closed test. One would be foolish to think otherwise. They won't even let me as photographer get in without a badge with my name on it. There is too much of a liability for someone to sue. These are people allowed into pit area and inside the racing fences. They have to be identified.

chaind - Unregistered

March 21, 2013 11:04 PM

If I have a law suit with McDonalds, does that mean I can't eat there?
If I have a lawsuit with Exxon, does that mean I can buy gas there?
The premise is plain silly!

pukka - Unregistered

March 21, 2013 11:41 PM

Certainly one of #34's bigger fans but come on Kevin give your head a shake. You can't sue an entity and then walk through their doors expecting open arms. And since when did Kevin become a track designer? He single-handedly designed the track... Wow narcissism grows with age.

CRT - Unregistered

March 22, 2013 12:04 AM

@ shamerone

re: "Then shame on Mr. Schwantz for not getting his deal in writing"

Last time I checked a press release is not a binding contract genius.

Eighties racing fan - Unregistered

March 22, 2013 12:09 AM

@ average at best
You very obviously didn't watch Schwantz, Rainey and Lawson etc banging fairings week in week out...
Schwantz is very much a legend and was one of Rossis favorite riders to watch as a youngster....which I believe says a lot.

chaind - Unregistered

March 22, 2013 12:52 AM

I agree the lawsuit was kind of silly (very hard to win). But most lawsuits are pretty petty. He deserve the credit for pushing this project from MotoGPs point of view, he did have input on track design. But, He did get screwed because of the F1 rights loss. Then Dorna followed F1s lead and pursued their own deal. Thats big business!
But this article is about being ejected from a place that you are already in, doing your job. If he wasn't permitted access, what did he do? Jump the fence? I know, he must have hid out in one of the bike containers! Oh wait he posed as a truck driver!
They themselves (COTA) stated it was a private test, open to only participating teams and invited media. He was part of one of those teams.
If he didn't have the right credentials they would have never let him in.
What makes someone a LENGEND? I think a legend is anyone you can remember for what they have done. It doesn't matter how that stacks up against people today. I remember those battles, I know exac

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  »