MotoGP » Schwantz 'sets the record straight' on COTA claim

"Let me set the record straight: I am the reason MotoGP is coming to Texas and no one currently associated with COTA had anything to do with the design of the actual race track" - Kevin Schwantz.

Jim Clausen

March 29, 2013 12:21 AM

No doubt, Kevin was instrumental in lobbying for CotA to get a Moto GP event. My guess is he wanted to get paid for his efforts. CotA slammed the door, literally and figuratively, in his face.

Having had some contact with a CotA employee, I can definitely say CotA has an attitude. When I was told the cost to park my motorhome, at the F! race, was $15,000.That's right, fifteen thousand dollars, U.S. I wrote them off. CotA, in my opinion, is not interested in regular motorsports fans. They are after the big dollar corporate and celebrity types. Those types will never sustain a race track.

Mick Pittsburgh - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 2:24 AM

I'm from N Ireland but live in USA now - Schwantz is amazing. I left corporate America and started my own company becasue I HATED the talentless sleazebags that coporations nurture.

I'm making double the money I was before I was 'managed' by some muppet with an MBA driving a BMW (I'm a industrial controls engineer).

I WILL NOT BE AT TEXAS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THEY'RE TREATING SCHWANTZ!!! I will be at INDY with my family and about 20 friends.

Crash and burn COTA - I hope Schwantz buys you out for a few cents then fires all you sleazebags!!!!!

pukka - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 1:41 PM

Kevin can say what he wants, Al Gore invented the internet remember... doesn't make it necessarily true. To be as arrogant as to say that those investors of $400M had nothing to do with the design or the development of the track is assinine. To assume he single-handedly brought MGP to Texas is even more absurd. He has not a leg to stand on and when all is done he will unfortuntately fade further into the distance. I loved him as a racer but he is not a businessman. Had he had a legitimate case why is he feeling the need to protest so much. Seems like a weak case on his part. Wonder how he is going to prove he brough MGP to COTA when even the MGP principals have stated he did not have a contract because his org could not get the authorization needed for a MGP event at COTA.

Wacko - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 2:01 PM

@Pukka

Have you even bothered to look at the Documents Posted all over the web now signed by Carmelo Ezpeleta(Dorna), Jeff Hahn (COTA) and the Texas state comptroller acknowledging his promotion of the race for the next ten years!

O B Gold - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 2:32 PM

I attended the first F1 event at COTA. Loved the facility, Austin and the organization behind the event required to handle the crowds. This disrespect toward one of the idols of MotoGP history will hurt this event no matter who is "right". Glad I live in California where I can watch the MotoGP at the jewel of a circuit, Laguna Seca. Kevin is always there and always welcomed.

pukka - Unregistered

March 30, 2013 2:41 AM

@ wacko

Yes they are ncie letters but nothing binding. There is no contract there and when you are dealing with a multi-million dollar deal you better have more than tacit or agreement. Have you also looked at the documents where the city of Texas filed against Combs the Comptroller as she did not have the legal authority to make those commitments. That's where the whole F1 and MGP funding and contracts fell apart. That's the crux of the matter. Schwantz contract expired. See you in court.

ducluvr - Unregistered

March 30, 2013 4:56 PM

ok, let me get this straight.... the reason motogp is going to CotA is because kevin schwantz told ezpeleta to do so?? and ezpeleta does what schwantz tells him to do?? that is some very impressive power schwantz wields. does a 400 million dollar tilke-designed brand new racetrack have anything to do with it?

« 4 5 6 7 8 9  »