MotoGP » Austin MotoGP: Rossi set to go second on-time start list

Valentino Rossi on target to set new 500cc/MotoGP start record by end of present Yamaha contract, moves top of podium-seasons list.

Ich - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 11:35 AM

@ Therehewent

Priceseless how you decide what championships "count" and which ones don't.

The icing on the cake of your "slight" bias is how you downplay the ones that happen to count as well :D :D

Dave - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 11:39 AM

@Slide,

You are a crack-up...dont like the stats as they are so lets cut this off and that off until you get the stats you like:)

Essentially, regardless of what the stats say, your idol is the best? Yet you criticize rossi fans for our "blind" assertion that he's the GOAT.

The difference is slide, the stats support our case far better than the support yours...

By the way, how can you exclude his sat year when stoner himself has stated that it was a race winning bike? Or is that a convenient comment to forget? Not enough capacity for memory with the 80 seconds comment up there?

Ich - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 11:45 AM

@ Rama,

Without the 2010 crash and had he stayed in Yamaha I believe he would have taken that record.

As of today, I believe not.
34 is already a lot at this level, and the clock keeps ticking. To beat that record that record, he should get younger, and I'm afraid that's not possible :).

But here's hoping for some wins and great racing :).

Therehewent - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 11:50 AM

Don't see how I downplayed anything but some seasons are clearly pointless when comparing riders performances.
Doohan dominated but his last 4 were hardly captivating wc's, although he proved a point in 92 that he was the real deal despite failing to win the title.
Kev Schwantz was handed the 93 title but jeez was it a forgettable season or what?
It's only my opinion mate but Rossis seasons prior to 06 were his to lose, he got the best and he got it first and we all know what happens when he doesn't get that don't we!

Dave - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 11:52 AM

@Slide,

As a PS to my previous post, if you were actually serious about excluding CS sat year, you would have to exclude VR ducati years.

I mean, which BIKE was more competitive, the 06 sat honda or the 11,12 ducati???????????

Casey was very competitive on the 06 sat, just crashed a hell of a lot. Dont earn the name "rolling stoner" for no reason?

No need to play with the stats, spend more effort dealing with the reality of them as they stand.

Ich - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 12:03 PM

@ Therehewent,

Won't dwell on the before 2006.

You said that after 2006 VR won 2 but "didn't outshine the rest".
Hell, for some Catalunya 2009 is one of the best overtakes ever and LS 2008.. Is the most watched motoGP vid on Youtube!! Maybe for a reason?

VR crushed the (high level) competition in the two post-2006 titles with racing skills that have been rarely seen before!!

And anyway, not interested in drawn out conversations of "I said, you said", so it will be the last one on the topic for me :).

Slide Rules! - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 12:10 PM

Dave, you obviously didn't read all of stoners v5 comment otherwise you might have noticed the little bit about the tyres you've conveniently overlooked!
I've never said Stoner is the goat because clearly Ago has that title sealed and I can only compare the years they competed against each other and I honestly can't see how you would include a rookie year on a 3rd tier satellite bike, therefore I have a clear winner and I knew who it was before valentino made stoner look like a god on the ducati.

Therehewent - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 12:20 PM

Ich, post 2006 results show that Rossi is behind both Lorenzo AND Casey in the stats and clinging to 2 overtaking moves to support your opinion is getting desperate.
Check the winning margins off all 3 post 2006 champions and you will learn what 'crushed' is.

Bigsy - Unregistered

April 18, 2013 12:50 PM

I'd say 7 (as in championships) 'crushes' 2, so Lorenzo and the quit monkey have a lot of catching up to do.

As for only being to compare the time they competed against each other, I guess I can go and fight Ali now and if I win, declare myself the GOAT, yes?

an4rew

April 18, 2013 12:51 PM

Bayliss and Biaggi won World Superbikes over 40yrs old.
I'm not so sure age is that important anymore, i guess you would maybe lose a bit of consistency over a long run but you do have bigger experience and knowledge
and on race day you can certainly bring it!

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »