MotoGP » Austin MotoGP: Chest pain leaves Spies reeling

'At eight laps to go, it was either come in or salvage whatever points we could' - Ben Spies

Bill - Unregistered

April 22, 2013 10:55 PM

Anyone that is connected to motogp knows that a lot of riders have to find the funds to pay for their ride. I would think that his very expensive seat was paid for from his own bank account, He would be better taking another year out and coming back when he is fully fit, it takes more than a race season to recover from shoulder injuries. Guess that's why stoner left , don't think he was 100 per cent fit, He always looked washed out

YankeeKraut916

April 22, 2013 11:09 PM

Ben is a great SUPERBIKE RIDER...nothing more, nothing less. He gave it a good shot but it's time to pack it in. He has nothing to be ashamed of as plenty of great superbike riders flopped in GP...Troy Bayliss, Colin Edwards, Troy Corser, James Toseland, Nori Haga, etc.
He's going to end up just being grid filler...just like the other Texan.

Educationer - Unregistered

April 22, 2013 11:31 PM

I can't say I am a Spies fan but in this case I have to sympathise a little. Having only separated my shoulder 12 years ago in a bike crash, I still get chest pain, it's any easy way for the body to compensate, tighten the nearest big muscles up and stabilise the shoulder.
Of course, I didn't have the immense talents of his doctors and Clinica Mobile but still, I will believe him this time.

Realist

April 22, 2013 11:46 PM

I don't doubt that he's injured. I get it! His job is labor intensive and injuries are amplified during the course of that labor. Every rider has had issues.....Lorenzo's ankles, Rossi's leg, etc. etc......but I do truly feel like Spies' time is up. Not because he isn't insanely talented, but because he just doesn't have what it takes to be consistent enough to compete with the top grid riders. Like somebody mentioned in another post, he shouldn't be ashamed. There are many riders who couldn't cut it for whatever the reason. At least he had a moment in the sun!

RocketR1

April 23, 2013 12:26 AM

@PatrickKane
I lumped Hayden in because his time is up, he has rode for Ducati long enough now that if he was going to win it would have happened by now,Then his new team mate Dovi comes on board and makes him look really bad this season.As Marquez,Bradl and even Crazy Joe have shown Moto2 is the way into MotoGP.

Jerginz - Unregistered

April 23, 2013 4:07 AM

Well I for one haven't they thrown the towel in on spies. He's a gp race winner which the majority on the current field can't say. Once he is back to 100% fitness im hoping he's at least up there challenging for podiums. we have yet to see what he is fully capable of on that Ducati. For like half the races of 2012 something outside his control ruined his races.

rabcati - Unregistered

April 23, 2013 11:24 AM

Nice little fact I read on motogp the other day that puts Bens performance on the Yam into perspective. Lorenzo and Rossi's one two at Qatar was Yamahas first one two finish since 2010!! I find that unbelievable, we know it wasnt Jorge letting the side down.

Bookie - Unregistered

April 24, 2013 4:21 AM

This guy is so lame.
He always has an excuse for being terrible.
A chest pain ? What are you 80 years old?
Go away and let someone who will actually ride
With ambition have a shot.
Spies ---- you're done