MotoGP » Ben Spies to miss Spanish MotoGP

Ben Spies to skip Spanish MotoGP after latest physical setback

Grendlehop

April 26, 2013 4:13 AM

I think he may miss racing back home in the USA. He's clearly stated he doesn't enjoy flying, preferring to travel by RV. Sure, the $ in GP is much greater, but I think he'd do ok back here as well. I don't know for sure, but I've heard European SBK doesn't pay unless your at the tip-top & the AMA can be profitable for the little guy even. I miss watchin the AMA with Matt, Ben, Miguel, E-Boz & B-Boz, the Haydens and Yates, even though Aaron scuttled the championship for Eric @ Laguna many years ago. Ahhh, Memories!!

daniel kuchnia

April 26, 2013 6:19 AM

@TheTruth
sorry, a little of topic
to be clear
most overrated rider (not package rider+bike) is Mr. Vale "best queipment" Rossi, noone can beat this.

Ben had a bad luck last year, I think with healt he can be with his junior Duc on the same level as Dovi.

Aus - Unregistered

April 26, 2013 6:29 AM

@rabcati
You said Spies getting 4 podiums in 2 yrs on a works bike is bad,so what do you say about a rider that was on a works bike for 2 yrs and only got 3 podiums and 2 of them were gifted,and all his fans think he is brilliant.

Darkwaknight

April 26, 2013 9:05 AM

@ Daniel and AUs

Come on guys...please you are not comparing Spies to Rossi...?? Are you??

Most overrated is Rossi (and I am no Rossi fanboy I was a pure Max and Sete fan in the day). 9 WC, Most podiums and 1 WC and about 7 wins away from statistically being the GOAT.. If you wanted to prove you were a speis fanboy you just did..well. How are those Rose tinted glasses? Hell I bet spies would agree with me as would ANYONE in the paddock!

rabcati - Unregistered

April 26, 2013 12:56 PM

Aus, I specifically said Factory Yamaha. As in the championship winning bike of 2008,09,10 and 12. Big difference between that and the Ducati. You could also say Spies win at Assen was gifted after Simo slowed Lorenzo at the start and Dani was not even racing!!

RocketR1

April 26, 2013 5:30 PM

@Rabcati
I love when people make excuses to take away from Riders who win fair and square..Spies rode a perfect race in Assen 2011 other riders were not perfect, its racing and that happens.
I guess you could also say Rossi wouldnt have got 2nd in Qatar this year if Stoner had not retired??? See how foolish it sounds?

markg - Unregistered

April 26, 2013 11:44 PM

As some other folks have suggested, can't ride competively at MotoGP level if your self confidence is failing... Easy to understand that seems to me. Given what
happened to Spies last year that would shake most any riders confidence in a big way. I've been following Ben through his Ama years to now, have been rooting for him, but he doesn't seem the same guy. Noticed it early last year. I've thought that nasty crash in late 2011 where he smashed his head bad, might have hurt him more then anyone can know. Whatever... Very sorry to say but I suspect the serious edge he had, huge talent and confidence, may be gone, not to be back

AUS - Unregistered

April 27, 2013 1:59 AM

@darkwaknight
I have to tell you mate you got it totally wrong I am not a Spies fan never was but I respect him as a GP rider like I respect them all,but I dont care if rossi won 50 titles he was on a works bike for 2 yrs and got 3 podiums 2 gifted and thats a FACT which proves if he is not on the best machinery he is an average rider,I dont think you could dispute that.

larry - Unregistered

April 27, 2013 3:46 AM

@AUS, the same can be applied to any rider not just rossi... there won't be success unless you have the machinery to make it happen with the (arguable) exception of stoner. He was able to get a few wins with the 09-10 ducati and made it look a LOT better than it actually was. It was also only stoner that could make it competitive to this day since 2007. That said, its not as if he'd be winning races on a crt. There are really only 2 bikes capable of taking home the championship the factory yamaha and honda. If you're not one of the 4 riders on those bikes, you aren't winning the 'ship.

AUS - Unregistered

April 27, 2013 7:47 AM

@larry
That was the point I was making like any rider on the grid put them on ordinary machinery and they are ordinary riders,and as a stoner fan I also agree with you .

« 4 5 6 7 8 9  »