MotoGP » BBC made 'competitive bid' to try and keep MotoGP

"We are very proud of our MotoGP coverage and submitted a competitive bid to retain the broadcasting rights"

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Philipa Evans - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 4:25 PM

Yet another sell out by the BBC. They have already shown they aren't interested in motorsport so we shouldn't be surprised. There is always money for football and snooker and reality tv and 'talent' shows. Shame on them.

ja - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 4:37 PM

or looks well it looks like been my last season watching motogp lets hope its a cracker, as for the bbc seriously can not justify the price of the licence fee £10 is all its worth extremely diappointed in them, instead ofgetting superstars to present crap shows get supershows & events and a nobody to present it.

C90 - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 5:06 PM

According to an article by Matt Roberts on the BBC MotoGP website (11 April 2013) referring to the Qatar 2013 MotoGP coverage: “MotoGP the most watched programme on BBC2 all weekend, with an average of 1.67 million viewers and a peak of 2 million - up by 20% on 2011”.

So if MCNs previous report that the deal is “believed to be worth around £8m” (2 May) was accurate then by my calculations the cost per year would be £1.6 million. If you take the conservative figure of 1.67million BBC viewers from the above statement then the average annual cost per viewer for the rights, if it had instead gone to the BBC, would have been around 96 pence. Of course there are production costs of the programs on top of that, but losing a sport because of 96 pence per viewer out of OUR £145.50 BBC licence fees is disappointing.

On the assumption that these figures are ball park then it seems it was a dismal effort to retain a sport that brought enjoyment to many BBC viewers.

Paul - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 5:39 PM

Coverage moved to BBC so that 'everyone' could watch didnt it? So why sell it to a channel that cant be accessed unless you pay or switch and pay to watch it! Nothing like taking motogp from the fans eh!

billy boy - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 7:02 PM

The appalling BBC coverage and extremely poor quality of commentators cant help the BBC fight for the tv rights. Hopefully BT will see sense and take the Eurosport commentary team along with them.
Don't get me wrong i would love to see it stay free to view but if the tennis or football happens to be on at the same time then the BBC just don't care so you can hardly blame dorna.

iusedtobesleepy

May 09, 2013 7:02 PM

@mike earlier.
I totally agree. I think the BBC have been the architects of their own loss and their arrogance is simply shocking.

I have watched their coverage faithfully since 2003 as that is all I can afford and I have written on a number of occasions to offer my support and also on a number of occasions to complain about certain things (remember the Moto2 race last year cut short for tennis??).
I have nothing but contempt for the BBC and the fact they simply went through the motions with MotoGP. I am not talking about Parrish and Co, but I am talking about the sheer lack of promotion of the series. Have you ever seen more than one advert (the day before the season starts) promoting their EXCLUSIVE LIVE coverage. Have you hell. They don't even use their own free footage to report the results on Monday mornings news programme. I am properly devastated at the loss of free to air motogp as I can no longer afford to watch my favourite sport from next year. Truly appalling.

theomen666 - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 7:07 PM

We do not know how much BT paid a report on MCN website said it was around £8 Million over 5 yrs thats only around £1.6 Million a year. The BBC say they put in a competitive bid but what was it. More the 1.6 Million per yr or less.

Angry as - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 9:17 PM

I can't believe what has happened. I know the commentary team were a bit poor bit at least we got to see the action. Ah well at least the voice is still on ffs.

« 1 2 3 4  »