MotoGP » Ezpeleta: BBC to BT like 500cc to MotoGP

“500cc was fantastic for decades, but there is a moment when you need to move to other possibilities” - Carmelo Ezpeleta.

TC - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 8:23 AM

So Mr Ezpeleta. would you be kind enough to explain why it was essential to have MotoGP on free to air TV a few years back and you did the dirty on Eurosport , suddenly that goes out of the window and a minor player pay per view service is now deemed the best solution.

Julian Bond

May 10, 2013 8:24 AM

Ezpeleta is a piece of work, isn't he?!? I reckon this is a ploy to get us to buy the motogp.com premium sub direct and cut out the broadcaster middlemen.

An extra 180 quids is good for the fans? How does that work then? And what about Virgin cable and WSB next year.

Thorborg - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 8:26 AM

I've said it before but tax payers should not be lining the pockets of commercial rights holders. BBC should be making their own unique content and not wasting money trying to out bid private sports broadcasters.

This ultimately comes down to whether you believe the Moto GP product is worth 15 quid a month. Twenty years ago it was, nowadays it ain't worth half that in my opinion. Unless BT get some more quality Motorsport on board or lower the price then I won't be paying. If BT can still turn a profit from it from those fans that think it is worth it then fair play to them. If I don't think the price of entry is worth it then I have no right to be tax payer subsidised.

Ian - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 8:30 AM

Well thats the end of motogp for me!

Silverstone will be my last race this year. From now on I will concentrate on BSB - lets face it motogp was becoming dull and predictable anyway.

BT - this is the company famous for offering consistently the worst customer service in the UK? I thought so....

detchells - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 8:31 AM

same old **** there just doing the same has sky big money sell off and littlefor the fans who follow there chosen sport.
well i wont be paying to watch sport do all these companies think working class people have a endless supply ofcash tospend on pay for view, well i cant i pay my tv licence so if theres motorsport televised great if not its not a loss itv 4 shows excellent motorsport and its free to watch.

QuakeChurch - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 8:34 AM

Ezpeleta will proved to be correct: This shift away from Eurosport will be retrograde, just as the shift away from riceburners was. MotoGP racing these days is a yawn, bring back 500cc and keep Julian Toby and Neil.
Cheers from NZ

Boonyboy - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 8:36 AM

I DON'T WANT BT!!!!!! They are crap there broad band is not a patch on my current provider and I'm dam well not paying yet another subscription charge..still on the flip side I can find a foreign site streaming it and will watch it that way, so up yours BT &DORNA!!

pp916 - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 8:47 AM

This man continues to make ridiculous decisions based on very little thought or research, just on short term financial gain for Dorna.
The BBC coverage had its faults but at least it got people watching who had never been exposed to bike racing before - will those people now be interested enough to go looking for it now that its gone to some obscure satellite channel and pay for the priviledge? I don't think so. And most of those that have followed the sport for a lifetime will not feel inclined to pay more and switch providers to pursue coverage to a provider with the appalling reputation that BT has, even if it is available to them in their area in any sort of viable form, which is not always the case.
Why does he feel the need to follow the F1 model all the time? This is not car racing, the fan base is entirely different (thankfully), they will not accept this when it is clearly transparent that it is to the detriment of the sport and done only in the cause of creating short term pr

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »