MotoGP » Ezpeleta: BBC to BT like 500cc to MotoGP

“500cc was fantastic for decades, but there is a moment when you need to move to other possibilities” - Carmelo Ezpeleta.

Gary - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 9:24 AM

Yet AGAIN Dorna show their total lack of competence on how to run the series. Going to BBC was always a bad idea, but you could see their intention to make it mainstream, now moving to an unproven non existing channel that barely anyone will have. It will only be worse for the fans... those few that will remain. Back to dodgy downloads foe me!

Jollyboy - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 9:32 AM

@Skally sorry, but I live in a rural area and get a rock solid 16Mb from BT. My parents OTOH live in an urban area (**1 postcode, so as urban as it gets) and get a piss poor 1.8Mb from Sky.

itsallbllocks - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 9:35 AM

Its £31 a month not the £15 thats keeps getting mentioned. Don't forget there is a £16 p/m line rental.
So thats £372 per year and you are on an 18 month contract.
I won't be watching on BT because I can't afford to, simples!

jollyboy - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 9:38 AM

Like any other sport the TV rights are sold to the highest bidder. It's also usually a sealed bid auction so nobody knows how high their rivals will bid. You can't blame Dorna for that, every other sport's governing body behaves the same way. Which is why more and more sports have ended up on subscription services. Nor can you blame the BBC. They can't spend huge chunks of their funding to satisfy a minority of viewers.

But those who think only BT customers will get this service are missing the point. Just like BT customers can get Sky sports channels at a cost, Sky and Virgin and the small players will be able to buy this channel from BT and sell it to their subscribers if they so choose. BTW it's not BT broadband per se, but BT Vision TV customers, some of whom don't even have computers.

If you're on another broadband provider you already have the opportunity to watch the races at MotoGP.com so long as you're willing to pay.

The people who get left out in the cold will be people

Leon - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 9:40 AM

Well I was never happy with the bbc as they always priorities anything else that airs at the same time.
But there is no friging way I'm paying £15 a month.
Moto gp is my sport but I don't think this is gonna help
Promote it. Marketing bribe, very said.

jollyboy - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 9:40 AM

.... with freview or freesat and no broadband, but they already get left out in the cold on all sorts of sports and other stuff that's only available on Sky or Virgin or whatever. Why is this any different.

Darkwaknight

May 10, 2013 9:46 AM

All these ppl quoting Line rental etc, I take none of you have a Phone already then? If not then £15 a Month, if you move to BT for the same as you pay now (Virgin,TalkTalk etc) then you get it free, this is a Business like anything, And BT see it as that, Get your BB with them and you get Free Sports with Premier Football, Rugby and Now GP. You wait when BT push this (unlike BBC who you would never know show GP as you never see an ad for it). BT will promote it, put the money behind it and push it on with TV and SmartTV/Net media as is the future. I bet that about half of the people here will have looked or will look to move to a BT infinity package next year and see how good it is. I live in a Rural area, Virgin could not give me cable, I had less than 3mb, for the SAME price I got Unlimited 50MB down and 12MB up, on a normal Copper Line and a £50 Sainsburys Voucher. I get no limits, no Caps or throttling. Yet I have friends on Virgin and they say after 5pm you can forget your 100MB

Darkwaknight

May 10, 2013 9:46 AM

100MB cable line as it drops to about 15-20MB if you are lucky. Everyone hating is just change, but change happens. This will be better, more advertised and will increase GP popularity. How much BRITISH money is in the Paddock?? NONE. But with BT they could sponser a team. a round and bring on other Blue Chip Companies into the Paddock. Espeletsa is many things, Dumb and crap at business he is not. This is more than just TV coverage, You wait.

davechipp - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 9:49 AM

Who is this guy trying to kid BBC is cr4p cos any other sport or program in fact gets priority over bike racing it always has, I am always prepared to wait until mtogp is on rerun a little later than watch highlights.
I have followed GP racing for more years than I can remember but to take it away from Eurosport is the most idiotic thing I have come across.
Well Mr Ezpeleta if you want to destroy motogp you have found a great way to do it. WHAT A **** YOU ARE.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »